ArbDogs? Pics!

Burnham

Well I said i would report back on Isla,s progress,, sge niw 6 mth and training coming along fine, retrieve mad and it's all to be done in as little time as possible, she really gets her nose down and hunts dummies out well in cover so all going well,,  we had a couple of hrs out one aft last wk when I had Purdey (the vets dog) trying to get the pair of em to sit still for 10 seconds was a job in its self,, 

20231128_144345.jpg

20231128_144332.jpg

20231128_150538.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Well I said i would report back on Isla,s progress,, sge niw 6 mth and training coming along fine, retrieve mad and it's all to be done in as little time as possible, she really gets her nose down and hunts dummies out well in cover so all going well,,  we had a couple of hrs out one aft last wk when I had Purdey (the vets dog) trying to get the pair of em to sit still for 10 seconds was a job in its self,, 

20231128_144345.jpg

20231128_144332.jpg

20231128_150538.jpg

Tears at my heart strings a little seeing the pair together...

I miss my lab, Tiz. Epic gun dog and best friend. 7 years nearly to the day and it still upsets me.

She looked so much like Purdey, was nice and lean till i had to retire her. 

Still remember that look in her eyes telling me she'd fought enough...

I hope you experience the same connection with Isla. 

I'll definately be looking out for the updates on progression 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Scotty2809 said:

Tears at my heart strings a little seeing the pair together...

I miss my lab, Tiz. Epic gun dog and best friend. 7 years nearly to the day and it still upsets me.

She looked so much like Purdey, was nice and lean till i had to retire her. 

Still remember that look in her eyes telling me she'd fought enough...

I hope you experience the same connection with Isla. 

I'll definately be looking out for the updates on progression 

Yes I know all to well where your coming from with loosing dogs,, in April this year I went from 2 dogs to no dogs in 8 days,  the younger one on the left in photo below was just 18 mth old and and full of promis as a working dog and  the older one 8yr old that I rehomed with my vet, reason for rehomeing the older one was far to many bad habits like I will do it when I want, not when you tell me,, the younger one would of picked up on all this and  I would of More than likely ended up with 2 dogs the same ,, Asha the young one was very well bread and a quick learner, so I wanted to put all my effort in to this young dog but unfortunately 8 days after rehoming the older dog I lost Asha to rat poison, very sad day having to make the desision to put such a promising young dog to sleep, this tore me apart, I said that's it with dogs for me but I had purdey for 7 wks over the summer and this inspired me to up my game at finding a pup and we did, and TBH no regrets at all ,, 

20220424_164210.jpg

20220424_162510.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Yes I know all to well where your coming from with loosing dogs,, in April this year I went from 2 dogs to no dogs in 8 days,  the younger one on the left in photo below was just 18 mth old and and full of promis as a working dog and  the older one 8yr old that I rehomed with my vet, reason for rehomeing the older one was far to many bad habits like I will do it when I want, not when you tell me,, the younger one would of picked up on all this and  I would of More than likely ended up with 2 dogs the same ,, Asha the young one was very well bread and a quick learner, so I wanted to put all my effort in to this young dog but unfortunately 8 days after rehoming the older dog I lost Asha to rat poison, very sad day having to make the desision to put such a promising young dog to sleep, this tore me apart, I said that's it with dogs for me but I had purdey for 7 wks over the summer and this inspired me to up my game at finding a pup and we did, and TBH no regrets at all ,, 

20220424_164210.jpg

20220424_162510.jpg

I'm really sorry to hear that, its heart wrenching to hear of an experience like that so can only imagine how it felt.

I'd love to have another worker, but for the moment with work and life, it wouldnt get the time and attention needed.

We have a American Bull, which we rescued. Has a huge personality and fits in with the home life we currently have. it's just not the same as sitting in a hide, or mooching through the fields with the dog at heal. Maybe one day when life normalizes and i can actually have the hours required.  

We are surrounded by fields, woods and farmland, so would be ideal for another worker. 

Anyway, apologies for the interruptions, keep sharing the pics if you can please and the updates. 

• Like 2

No description available.

A week and a day in and Sailor is proving to be pretty bloody easy. Quickly acquired general dog manners, settled into my shit-tip of a house like it was one large silk pillow, went from six months of towing someone round on a harness to a mix of polite leadwork and free-range frolics and is as good as bloody gold with people and dogs that, on viewing, he was barking bloody murder at. I've been unbelievably lucky. Could have been a nightmare. Isn't.

In the name of balance and accountability, the bad:

My alarm clock goes off at 08:00. He howls like a dickhead anywhere from 06:15. I buckled once. Since resolved not to unless it's the neighbours actually breaking the door down. He can hold his piss like a champ so I think it's garden variety separation anxiety. He'll have to learn.

Recall isn't great. I can get him back to a shout or a whistle when he's just generally trotting round but if he's onto anything interesting, I quickly slip down the list of priorities. Had a fairly embarrassing episode this morning where a spaniel sneaked up on us and got chased all the way home. Luckily mine has a pretty good sense of direction and returned to the scene of the crime like he'd only stepped out for a fag.

Hoping time and bonding fixes the obvious problems. Bear in mind it's still very early days and he's passed the crash course with flying colours.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AHPP said:

No description available.

A week and a day in and Sailor is proving to be pretty bloody easy. Quickly acquired general dog manners, settled into my shit-tip of a house like it was one large silk pillow, went from six months of towing someone round on a harness to a mix of polite leadwork and free-range frolics and is as good as bloody gold with people and dogs that, on viewing, he was barking bloody murder at. I've been unbelievably lucky. Could have been a nightmare. Isn't.

In the name of balance and accountability, the bad:

My alarm clock goes off at 08:00. He howls like a dickhead anywhere from 06:15. I buckled once. Since resolved not to unless it's the neighbours actually breaking the door down. He can hold his piss like a champ so I think it's garden variety separation anxiety. He'll have to learn.

Recall isn't great. I can get him back to a shout or a whistle when he's just generally trotting round but if he's onto anything interesting, I quickly slip down the list of priorities. Had a fairly embarrassing episode this morning where a spaniel sneaked up on us and got chased all the way home. Luckily mine has a pretty good sense of direction and returned to the scene of the crime like he'd only stepped out for a fag.

Hoping time and bonding fixes the obvious problems. Bear in mind it's still very early days and he's passed the crash course with flying colours.

Lovely fella.

Word of advice, if you cannot get an Alsatian back on recall immediately then keep him on a lead till you’ve trained him to come back.

A dog like that shouldn’t be galloping about at liberty chasing other dogs or worse.

It’s a recipe for disaster.

• Like 2