Get them working young I say.

Squaredy

Today my fourteen-year old worked for me for the first time.  He is not very practical, but at least he was committed.

He is a self-confessed geek, so getting out in the world with a broom and a sawdust shovel will do him no end of good.  He is already proud that he ‘has a job’.

It is a great loss that not so many youngsters get part time work these days.  The value of doing something physical in the real world rather than school and screens I think can hardly be overstated.  Incredibly, if I had wanted to get him doing this a year ago, IIMG_1112.thumb.jpeg.89b2939fb3081586bfecdb6ad4d7411c.jpeg would (in theory at least) have had to get permission from my local authority.

• Like 17

I used to get a pile of rings and a tractor with vertical splitter, with the promise of £8 for every bulk bag of split firewood I produced.

Remember the owner being a bit surprised that the 15yo did 10 bags on his first day.

Boy did I used to sleep well😄

Nothing like piece work at that age, harder you worked bigger the pay packet.

• Like 6

My workmates son has taken an interest in tree work. He's been doing a bit over the past year and half. He's just going into his last year of school. Got part time work with a local firm, and he's investing money in climbing kit. I've taken him for rec climbs and tried to simulate work positions etc. Only problem is he wants to climb srt all the time and doesn't want to the basics.

• Like 2

Our kids have always come to work for us.  They don't always like the work, but they mostly like the money.  Different rates for different jobs depending on circumstances - how much is in the job, how hard they actually work, etc - which has always been explained to them.  I think it does them the world of good.

• Like 1