Chain oil ... best bang for the buck?

Witterings

I've used Stihl SynthPlus recently and am running low, is there any real difference between that and something like the Silerhook linked here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverhook-SHCR5-Chainsaw-4-54-Litres/dp/B00YTPOAKS/ref=sr_1_4?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Gcxuld6Xth1IbAmW56AaweTdLVKqEPBkFtuccDxqJjh_rDqezrR0kooIix705HSYGl4LmMxm4SDyLP-MkKRKtNDLKTHmnOyyO5kuYarrSDShvuIFPwwrnRdX1S5bL7JgURyon25WNA-RrshFPFFH-2AAk-4x3vI1NJXah2K7fOPe2Rv8VN6ANDRpLBvNGpaUVL9oZ799mRQ9bkGGfqxwFZbsAjX5lSlcwMSZ1uiR8uc.MEJWde8FiVstavG0juq2oE1Q2F1_doRVvm4Wd8relBU&dib_tag=se&keywords=chainsaw%2Boil&qid=1719048446&rdc=1&sr=8-4&th=1

One of the reviews the guy was saying this is "thin" and getting thrown off the chain meaning he used about double the amount so was a false economy buying it.

What's people thoughts on the best budget oil / bang for the buck which gives decent protection?

Or.. to put the opposite point of view, use the best oil you can. It's such a small percentage of my operating costs I don't see any reason to scrimp, and good oil means my bars last a very long time. Likewise I run Stihl chains, why spend a fortune on a saw then hold it back by not using the best chain?

In the end I think it's more philosophical than practical, you're not going to get rich on the money saving on oil vs bars either way.

Edited by Dan Maynard
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Witterings said:

I've used Stihl SynthPlus recently and am running low, is there any real difference between that and something like the Silerhook linked here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverhook-SHCR5-Chainsaw-4-54-Litres/dp/B00YTPOAKS/ref=sr_1_4?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Gcxuld6Xth1IbAmW56AaweTdLVKqEPBkFtuccDxqJjh_rDqezrR0kooIix705HSYGl4LmMxm4SDyLP-MkKRKtNDLKTHmnOyyO5kuYarrSDShvuIFPwwrnRdX1S5bL7JgURyon25WNA-RrshFPFFH-2AAk-4x3vI1NJXah2K7fOPe2Rv8VN6ANDRpLBvNGpaUVL9oZ799mRQ9bkGGfqxwFZbsAjX5lSlcwMSZ1uiR8uc.MEJWde8FiVstavG0juq2oE1Q2F1_doRVvm4Wd8relBU&dib_tag=se&keywords=chainsaw%2Boil&qid=1719048446&rdc=1&sr=8-4&th=1

One of the reviews the guy was saying this is "thin" and getting thrown off the chain meaning he used about double the amount so was a false economy buying it.

What's people thoughts on the best budget oil / bang for the buck which gives decent protection?

Your not far from DM Chainsaws at Walberton me thinks . Go there and by a big tub of theirs . I have used it for years , never a problem .

• Like 1