More doom and gloom

28 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Yes, it looks as if the 750 times more emissions is actually a reference to the allowable limits on emissions; not on actual emissions.

The other stat is that household burning of solid fuel is now the greatest contributor to particulate emissions, and about double that of transport.  This i believe is where this whole new movement is coming from.  Can this be true?

I don't think I've ever read a report that wasn't slightly biased or just openly lying, cherry picking data from all over the world.

Whilst at the same time they have zero alternative solutions other than saying heat pumps or electric.

It's the typical because the pollution isn't happening here but over there that makes it fine.

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I have no idea what a modern HGV emits but it will have a particulate filter. What are these 750 HGVs doing, idling or working?

When a DPF does a regeneration cycle does it actually burn up the tiny particles or just re emit them? I originally thought the idea of a DPF was to store the particles until it could burn them off outside of urban areas, presumably detected by the fact the vehicle is at a greater speed. I have a 2023 Hilux and so far it has told me it is doing a DPF regeneration three times, all of these while i was in the town in 30 limit areas. Sorry for a bit of a derail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maybelateron said:

When a DPF does a regeneration cycle does it actually burn up the tiny particles or just re emit them? I originally thought the idea of a DPF was to store the particles until it could burn them off outside of urban areas, presumably detected by the fact the vehicle is at a greater speed. I have a 2023 Hilux and so far it has told me it is doing a DPF regeneration three times, all of these while i was in the town in 30 limit areas. Sorry for a bit of a derail.

Generally speaking it dumps in straight diesel into the DPF and rockets the temperature upto something mental like 800c.

Which burns of most of the soot, whilst I'm unsure how complete the combustion I presume more smaller particles are then released.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Is it doing the DPF cleaning thing because it's coasting under 30?

It's back pressure related, so when it reaches a level it does it.

If you're not blasting down the motorway regularly and just sitting in traffic it will cause issues and eventually a blocked DPF, needing a expensive clean or new DPF.

• Like 1

If you look at the figures and the chart above shows this too, over time in the last century the emissions in question have dropped considerably - including domestic combustion. Domestic combustion is seeing a resurgence but nowhere near like what it was and never will be.

So now with all the other emission types falling it is a substantial portion of the total... and so is on the radar.

Suppose that all stoves are banned, no domestic burning (including bonfires) then another burning type will become significant in the mix too and they will whinge about that one too.. until we live in a sterilised world where your front door is an air lock with particulate filter, windows will not open and we'll all live till 130.... but it will feel a lot lot longer.

Before commenting I read a few articles - not in depth research - but it appears that the particles as such are not a killer, but... if you have another condition then they can add to those problems - and the other conditions? Things like high blood pressure, overweight, and so on.... the ones that a better diet and more time outside (in the polluted air) could help a lot.

Like a lot of things in UK politics, education into a better healthy lifestyle is too difficult, so tax and ban is the way forward - sugar taxes, minimum alcohol prices, high taxes on spirits, banning chocolate bars from the checkouts and so on and of course, wood burning stoves... but cut the tax on sports equipment, trainers, bikes, gym membership.. not a chance (and here they have redone the largest park in the city with a new museum... and turned the 24 hour £2 parking fee into £5 for 2 hours... so it isn't viable to take the kids there for a 20 minute kick about). Of course they could also cut the electricity taxes to equalise gas and electricity prices (without the tax electricity prices would fall a lot) - and then I could afford to run a few fan heaters in the winter (the tax thing... will be going into political stuff... but a modern essential like gas / electricity, water and sewerage, perhaps even broadband.. should be under close control of the government to stop profits going overseas... electricity is taxes several times apart from the end 5% (tax on the gas producers, added to tax on the gas distributers profits, added to tax on the electricity generators profits, added to taxes on the electricity distributers profits, and whoever you are supplied from, their profits, and then 5% VAT.. it is a lot of tax)

I do believe that a lot of this is given time by the politicians because me burning firewood is not a taxable activity... and they hate me to do anything without taking a cut.

Edited by Steven P

1 hour ago, maybelateron said:

I've never had a vehicle with a DPF, but as I understand it the system is linked to the GPS data, so it will do a regen when passing through an area with social deprivation, as the kids have less to look forward to in later life anyways.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, maybelateron said:

The DPF traps small particulates and if it is hot enough burns them, over time the minute amount of ash in diesel that remains will clog the filter. There are firms that clean this ash by back washing the DPF with various chemicals. If you drive the vehicle such that the DPF doesn't get hot enough for the sooty particulates to burn in the excess air a diesel always has in its exhaust the trapped soot builds up back pressure in the exhaust which is sensed. The engine then dumps some extra diesel into the exhaust to burn and raise the temperature of the DPF enough to burn the accumulated soot.