Correct method for driving through floods

Steve Bullman

What is your preferred method for driving through flood water? I was always taught to drive though slow in 1st gear and dipping the clutch if necessary to keep the revs up and exhaust clear.

meanwhile there’s a guy preaching on our local Facebook group how the correct method is to drive through at a snails pace with the engine just ticking over. I questioned this in good faith, asking for a source, as the only information I could find on google backed up my knowledge and not his. I was ridiculed for listening to google rather than a mechanics with 25 years experience who had successfully driven through flood waters in his lowered bmw using his method 🙄

just happens that the ‘google’ links I trusted was from the likes of rac and aa, rather than Simon from Facebook who I don’t know from Adam. 

• Like 2

Slow and steady, keep momentum with a bow wave. Any doubts and I won't commit.

Unless I'm in the valtra of course, then it's balls to the wall and hopefully swamping the git in his lowered bmw

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

What is your preferred method for driving through flood water? I was always taught to drive though slow in 1st gear and dipping the clutch if necessary to keep the revs up and exhaust clear.

meanwhile there’s a guy preaching on our local Facebook group how the correct method is to drive through at a snails pace with the engine just ticking over. I questioned this in good faith, asking for a source, as the only information I could find on google backed up my knowledge and not his. I was ridiculed for listening to google rather than a mechanics with 25 years experience who had successfully driven through flood waters in his lowered bmw using his method 🙄

just happens that the ‘google’ links I trusted was from the likes of rac and aa, rather than Simon from Facebook who I don’t know from Adam. 

classic "facebook" twattery !!!  never really worth commenting / posting ...

• Like 1

If it looks deep, engage something called "reverse gear," turn around and find another route.

A few years ago I blasted passed a flood sign saying to the wife "How bad can it be"....it was fecking bad as I hit what looked like the English Channel at 50mph and got it in to reverse PDQ before the water came in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Doug Tait said:

Slow and steady, keep momentum with a bow wave. Any doubts and I won't commit.

Very little flooding here but I turned round and went another way once the sills were in water today. It's the same with snow, once you cannot distinguish the verge you can end up in the ditch.

• Like 4

The bow wave created by the correct speed actually lowers the water level at the front of the car.  

If you get too close to the bow wave it can come over the bonnet and flood the engine bay.

• Like 2