Great use for a shipping container

chopperpete

Aesthetics - it looks better, loads of converted containers out there, loads of knowledge what to do with them, you can buy windows and doors for them, quick and simple to get the internals water tight, logs insulating them from wind, able to insulate under logs, standard sizes and machinery to move them so easy to demonstrate they are temporary structures for planning.

I'd be tempted to do similar if I had containers to use semi-permanent domestically

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peds said:

We needed it because we were building a house and needed somewhere for deliveries, tools, storing furniture mid-move etc., and didn't have the time to build anything else. 4 screws in the ground one afternoon, containers delivered the next day, finished. Usable secure and dry storage space.

Now that they are there, it's a lot quicker and easier to just clad them and roof them than it would be to get rid and start again from scratch.

I don't see the reason for the negativity towards them. There's certainly enough containers kicking around for people to do whatever they want with them. 

Just seems a waste of resources.

However I can understand why in your case it was done that way.

Or build the inside of a few to spec off site.

Then assemble into a bigger structure quickly & clad later.

15 hours ago, Justme said:

Just seems a waste of resources.

However I can understand why in your case it was done that way.

Or build the inside of a few to spec off site.

Then assemble into a bigger structure quickly & clad later.

I sort of agree it seems un-necessary to have the steel container when such a good job is done of the log "cladding".  BUT, imagine the look on the face of some toerag trying to break in, and he discovers that underneath that lovely hobbitesque exterior is an impenetrable steel shipping container!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sviatoslav Tulin said:

Dont want to be rude , but it waste of materials and time . Absolutely no benefits in that type of building.

Quick and easy 'faux' cabin. Building a proper log cabin would be a whole lot more time consuming and involved with scribing and insulating on every course , given its a just container and likely to be a little office /workspace/ home studio or similar I  see the benefit to it looking aesthetically better than a container. Given what those flat pack faux cabins cost which are basically slightly thicker sheds I recon this would be a good addition for someone in the right place. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Squaredy said:

I sort of agree it seems un-necessary to have the steel container when such a good job is done of the log "cladding".  BUT, imagine the look on the face of some toerag trying to break in, and he discovers that underneath that lovely hobbitesque exterior is an impenetrable steel shipping container!

Never fear, there's always the windows to get in through 😀

• Like 1

Each to their own

I heard of a community group who bought a container for storage. Then someone decided they didn't like the look of it so they were/are going to get a joiner to do a proper job of cladding it, possibly with a nice apex roof too. Could've just built a nice cabin with the timber in the first place.

Personally I think a container painted green/brown/whatever (with a roller) looks totally fine in the countryside

• Like 2