Housing Crisis - a novel idea

sime42

The stupidity of youth is more a reflection of the poor standards of education in general, that's a discussion in itself and the results of everyone getting a participation trophy.

Quite simply we don't need to keep building more, but that's a whole cluster pump of a discussion that can snowball.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Never saw the point of golf but the courses to give a bit of green space that is protected from the spread of Barratt shacks. They won't build on golf courses since that is a selling point.

(However the architect from a firm nobody has heard of is now an architect from a firm we will forget next week but will have heard of briefly this week)

They are green spaces, and do currently limit the spread of Barrett rabbit hutches and their paved over surroundings, but they're not generally public access spaces. Unless you happen to be a member. Plus they're pretty much a grass monoculture, albeit neatly mown.

How about we stop overbreeding and importing the 3rd World here?

Then we could keep the golf courses.

I don’t play golf, but I’d rather look a golf course than a new housing estate.

You mention brownfield.

There’s plenty of it.

That’s a far better option, but we all know why the developers try and swerve it.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, GarethM said:

The stupidity of youth is more a reflection of the poor standards of education in general, that's a discussion in itself and the results of everyone getting a participation trophy.

Quite simply we don't need to keep building more, but that's a whole cluster pump of a discussion that can snowball.

True, though I think it reflects a general detachment from the natural world, rather than the participation trophy thing.

Yeah, let's not get into that cluster pump of a discussion again. At least, not on an empty stomach,  I've not yet had my lunch.

• Haha 1

The local Labour candidate pushed his flyer through the door. He blames Rishi and the Tories for the poorly insulated housing stock of the last 40 years! But the kind of muppetry talk may be for another forum....

Incidentally,  when I moved here, there were plans for a new golf club/hotel/spa/exhibition centra around the town. Even the LA let it slip that once the Golf was built, they would then be able to build housing easier!

2 hours ago, sime42 said:

Why's it such a bad idea, why are golf courses so great? Or are there just more golfers than I realised? If we've got to build more houses I'd rather they were built on golf courses or brownfield sites rather than farmland.

I have no liking for golf and think the courses are an environmental disaster but in my area all the newer golf courses were built on agricultural land because of a poor interpretation by the planners on what "diversification" for farming was permissible.

So to build on them effectively turns what was agricultural land, and often green belt, into housing development.

• Like 1

Read once that a lot of golf courses were built to claim subsidies - think it was one to set aside land, get cash every year.. and also membership fees.

Scotland might be slightly different rules, but can go over the courses here (respectfully of course - some of them are a mean shot) - when the snow comes you can see it is only the runners who use them (and the deer).

8 hours ago, sime42 said:

Wowsers!. It was neither an April fools nor bear baiting.

Why's it such a bad idea, why are golf courses so great? Or are there just more golfers than I realised? If we've got to build more houses I'd rather they were built on golf courses or brownfield sites rather than farmland.

Many golf courses have closed in recent years and some are indeed being built on.  Near me Dewstow had two courses - one is now houses; Alice Springs is also being partly developed as housing; and Oakdale is also now housing.

In my village 40 acres of grazing land has been turning into 1100 Redrow homes over the last four years or so.  There are now plans for a further 2500 homes on adjoining farmland.  Personally I value golf courses a little more than farmland.  I regard most farmland as an ecological disaster.  The golf course by me has public access through it and is a very pleasant backdrop for many local people.  The golfers can be very obnoxious however - it was so much nicer during the lockdowns!

• Like 1