What static band sawmill would you buy?

HB98

Hi all,

We are currently in the research stages of opening a new sawmill in the South West with a focus on softwoods. The mill would be a small but competitive operation.

I just wanted to gather people's thoughts on the different manufacturers of bandsaw mills available. What do you use and would you recommend it? What factors are important to you when considering a bandsaw mill? We have three phase electric.

Thank you

4 hours ago, HB98 said:

Hi all,

We are currently in the research stages of opening a new sawmill in the South West with a focus on softwoods. The mill would be a small but competitive operation.

I just wanted to gather people's thoughts on the different manufacturers of bandsaw mills available. What do you use and would you recommend it? What factors are important to you when considering a bandsaw mill? We have three phase electric.

Thank you

Woodmizer.  Good quality.  Well designed.  Very reasonably priced parts.  Good support.  And these days some of them are not that expensive.

I used to own a Norwood, and in every way it was the opposite of the above.  And yet it only cost a few hundred pounds less.

But as has been said, give some more detail of your plans and the advice may get more specific.  For instance, do you need log loading facilities, or will this be achieved by a yard loader?

What size timber will you want to mill? (Length and diameter) 

budget? 
Hydraulic lift/rotate etc? 

I’ve a newer model Norwood, after deciding what specs were important to me it came out on top over frontier, woodland mills, woodmizer and logosol. Plus the backup and parts were far better than any other make (in Sweden though!) 

im happy enough with it

mines the LM30, 14hp Kohler motor.  think it’s rated to 76cm diameter, but happiest at about 50-60cm max tbh

but if milling seriously, logosol (but their biggest mill

might not be big enough!) or woodmizer would be my first port of call (based on what’s available here and looking at mates machines) but Then there’s loads of other makes too that I’ve heard of but haven’t taken an interest in due to no/poor backup here.

dealing with sawdust is worth considering too, dunno what it’s called tbh but the vacuum that attaches to the mill would be worth looking at if milling often imo 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

You find you can get Norwood parts easier in Sweden than Logosol that are actually Swedish? I find that very hard to believe. 

How long did you live in Sweden for Andy,did you do alot of milling when you were there?

I know Josh must have lived there for well over a decade,speaks the language has a son with a Swede in his second house,built a big shed with the timber produced from his own mill.Mills for other people too.

Where abouts did you live in Sweden,what was your favourite part of the country?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

How long did you live in Sweden for Andy,did you do alot of milling when you were there?

I know Josh must have lived there for well over a decade,speaks the language has a son with a Swede in his second house,built a big shed with the timber produced from his own mill.Mills for other people too.

Where abouts did you live in Sweden,what was your favourite part of the country?

I periodically order Logosol parts directly from Logosol in Sweden and regardless of the part I order it’s with me within days. I can’t imagine someone who actually lives in the country would have a fundamentally different experience than myself. I’d imagine it would be significantly easier and quicker for him given your comment above. 

My favourite part of Sweden is Malmö, I just love the positive attributes diversity has brought to the city. 

• Confused 1

So you have no experience of living in Sweden and have never lived there or visited Malmo.

Relying instead on what you read via sources that align with your view of the world.

Try buying a Husqvarna chainsaw in Stockholm,the capital city in the very country they are made in. You can't because nobody sells them. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

So you have no experience of living in Sweden and have never lived there or visited Malmo.

Relying instead on what you read via sources that align with your view of the world.

Try buying a Husqvarna chainsaw in Stockholm,the capital city in the very country they are made in. You can't because nobody sells them. 

I have a lot of experiance with Logosol, a Swedish Company that ships Logosol parts from Sweden. I have received any part I have requested within days shipped to Scotland from Sweden. This is the crux of the discussion, the availability of parts in Sweden and from my empirical POV its has been extremely easy to obtain Logosol parts from Sweden. 

Have you ordered either Logosol or Woodmizer parts from Sweden? No, you're just being your usual twatish self, White Knighting for another member on here who I believe I directed my initial comment to. Why you feel the need to defend someone on a subject you apparently have next to zero experience in is anyone's guess, my guess is because you're an argumentative twat. :)