What static band sawmill would you buy?

HB98

18 minutes ago, doobin said:

Really? Why on earth not?

There just aren't any shops . I tried last Christmas I ended up going right out in the sticks,there was a Husky pro shop that was geared towards electric stuff in one of the major shopping centers . 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I have a lot of experiance with Logosol, a Swedish Company that ships Logosol parts from Sweden. I have received any part I have requested within days shipped to Scotland from Sweden. This is the crux of the discussion, the availability of parts in Sweden and from my empirical POV its has been extremely easy to obtain Logosol parts from Sweden. 

Have you ordered either Logosol or Woodmizer parts from Sweden? No, you're just being your usual twatish self, White Knighting for another member on here who I believe I directed my initial comment to. Why you feel the need to defend someone on a subject you apparently have next to zero experience in is anyone's guess, my guess is because you're an argumentative twat. :)

Is your arse smarting? Because I have literally spanked it.

You should stick to the topics you are familiar with Andy.

• Haha 4

Just now, Mike Hill said:

Is your arse smarting? Because I have literally spanked it.

You should stick to the topics you are familiar with Andy.

What on earth are you talking about? You've entered a topic where you have zero knowledge of and have spouted nothing but gibberish. Conversely unlike you this is a subject I am actually very familiar with. 

Best you stick to White Knighting and your male sex fantasies.... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

You find you can get Norwood parts easier in Sweden than Logosol that are actually Swedish? I find that very hard to believe. 

believe what you want 🤷‍♂️

delivery for anything takes at least two days here, I’ve never experienced next day delivery, no reason why logosol parts would come quicker than any other make sold in the same country, if it’s in stock its in stock, if it’s not it’s not! 

I don’t like to ring up to order stuff, I like to click on a straight forward website what I want.
The importer for Norwood (and frontier) is a large company selling all sorts of forestry stuff with a great easy to use website with prices (there’s other “Swedish made” saw mills who don’t have prices, it’s all “ask for a quote” - not what I like) so at the time, yeah easier as their website was easier and more comprehensive.

just had a quick look, the logosol site does look a lot better now.

But another deciding factor at the time was price for the specification I decided I wanted - the logosol was more than a grand extra. 

which is why I reckon it’s important to decide what specs are important to the individual before choosing a make 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, josharb87 said:

believe what you want 🤷‍♂️

delivery for anything takes at least two days here, I’ve never experienced next day delivery, no reason why logosol parts would come quicker than any other make sold in the same country, if it’s in stock its in stock, if it’s not it’s not! 

I don’t like to ring up to order stuff, I like to click on a straight forward website what I want.
The importer for Norwood (and frontier) is a large company selling all sorts of forestry stuff with a great easy to use website with prices (there’s other “Swedish made” saw mills who don’t have prices, it’s all “ask for a quote” - not what I like) so at the time, yeah easier as their website was easier and more comprehensive.

just had a quick look, the logosol site does look a lot better now.

But another deciding factor at the time was price for the specification I decided I wanted - the logosol was more than a grand extra. 

which is why I reckon it’s important to decide what specs are important to the individual before choosing a make 

Thanks for the rely. :)

The availability of Logosol parts is very good though. They are all in Sweden and Ive had nothing but first class service from them. They also throw in a lot of stuff for free if you ask nicely, or they'll discount off of the official price sometimes. Like I said, I find it hard to believe that in Sweden they could be bettered. It was not meant in a derogatory way, I should have perhaps worded it better. 

I agree Logosol is a good bit more in price but you really do get what you pay for. Ive abused my B751 for near on 4 years now and its always been out in the rain and still looks almost as good as it did when new, zero rust. Still cuts well and Ive only had to change out basic service parts. 

Out of interest how do you get on with the Ceramic blade guides, or has the newer Norwoods got rollers? 

Sorry I should've added more info. I personally have not milled before but I have an experienced sawyer who will be working with me on this. I have experience in a somewhat similar industry.

We will be mainly milling cedar, larch, douglas fir and spruce. This is a commercial venture so we need a fairly high production machine. My initial budget in mind is up to 40k. Logs up to 1.0m diameter and initially 4.8m in length but with a view to extend up to 7.5m. We will be on 3 phase electric and I am needing full hydraulic log handling.

I am a bit lost on whether going for a wider blade is a worthwhile consideration? The Woodmizer LT70 seems a nice saw but is the 38mm blade going to be a hinderance?

So far I am drawn towards a Trakmet. Anyone have experience of one of these?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stihl123 said:

well, if your budget is 40k...

Obsolete in my opinion.  Equal results can be achieved with a modern narrow blade at a vastly cheaper cost.  Even handling 4" wide blades is a nightmare, never mind replacement and sharpening cost.  A whole batch of ten of the Ripper 37 blades (that I use) will cost about the same as two blades for this machine.  Imagine hitting a nail and writing off £200 worth of blade.

And in this case the OP has stated he needs a static saw and has three phase electricity.  An electrically powered Woodmizer LT40 hydraulic is about £28,000 plus VAT new.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

Obsolete in my opinion.  Equal results can be achieved with a modern narrow blade at a vastly cheaper cost.  Even handling 4" wide blades is a nightmare, never mind replacement and sharpening cost.  A whole batch of ten of the Ripper 37 blades (that I use) will cost about the same as two blades for this machine.  Imagine hitting a nail and writing off £200 worth of blade.

And in this case the OP has stated he needs a static saw and has three phase electricity.  An electrically powered Woodmizer LT40 hydraulic is about £28,000 plus VAT new.

interesting, thanks 👍

If you have 40k to spend I'd have a look at Serra. No direct experience of operating one but I've seen one in action (can't recall the model) and they're fast.

A big step up from the hobby or semi commercial setups most of us on here have.

@Big J has experience with trakmet and is generally very helpful with this sort of thing, if you can get him off his bike long enough to type a reply!

• Haha 2