What static band sawmill would you buy?

HB98

1 hour ago, Conor Wright said:

If you have 40k to spend I'd have a look at Serra. No direct experience of operating one but I've seen one in action (can't recall the model) and they're fast.

A big step up from the hobby or semi commercial setups most of us on here have.

@Big J has experience with trakmet and is generally very helpful with this sort of thing, if you can get him off his bike long enough to type a reply!

I am pretty certain @Big J also has experience with a Serra Bavaria!

Edited by Squaredy

I'm a few years out of date now, I'll admit.

I worked with a Serra Bavaria belonging to Dan Franklin and it was an impressive machine. Fast and fairly accurate. The wider blades helped. It was actually the mobile version, but statically installed. 

The Trakmet I sold with my business back in 2018 is still going strong. Minimal problems with it and the only weak point (the spindle based raise/lower mechanism) has been replaced with a more conventional chain based mechanism.

Trakmet seem to have grown strongly, and are very popular here in Sweden.

If I were to offer general advice, I'd say:

* Go as heavy as possible. You can't have too much steel

* Go as automated and hydraulic as possible. You want to minimise manual handling.

* Power isn't so important. Cutting speed is nearly always limited by the blade

* Go wide as possible on the blades

* Don't get obsession with super wide cuts - accuracy is hard to maintain on anything over 60-70cm with narrow blades

* Think about your whole production line around the sawmill. This really needs a lot of thought. 

Happy to answer any questions

• Like 5

23 hours ago, HB98 said:

Sorry I should've added more info. I personally have not milled before but I have an experienced sawyer who will be working with me on this. I have experience in a somewhat similar industry.

We will be mainly milling cedar, larch, douglas fir and spruce. This is a commercial venture so we need a fairly high production machine. My initial budget in mind is up to 40k. Logs up to 1.0m diameter and initially 4.8m in length but with a view to extend up to 7.5m. We will be on 3 phase electric and I am needing full hydraulic log handling.

I am a bit lost on whether going for a wider blade is a worthwhile consideration? The Woodmizer LT70 seems a nice saw but is the 38mm blade going to be a hinderance?

So far I am drawn towards a Trakmet. Anyone have experience of one of these?

Trakmet would probably be the option I’d go for judging by your requirements and budget, sensible money and super heavy built. As big J has stated ( he’s ran a Trakmet in static mode, whereas my own experience is only of a mobile version ) be aware of the speed/accuracy limitations when trying to cut with a very wide throat. Trakmet will build in additional log handling aids on the mill no problem and the 3 phase hydraulic system is very fast and has plenty of grunt. Go for the biggest motor, band wheels and widest blade they will offer you. You will need good dust extraction for sure and I’d be looking at sharpening and setting too, I’ve had markedly better results since sharpening/setting my own blades including much better longevity which I guess is down to a proper gullet grind. I think there is a new TTP600 premium static around somewhere “ cancelled order” that would do the job, standard width for those is 900mm I think but don’t quote me on that. If you order a new machine don’t expect delivery any time soon, it’s a decent lead time. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

If you have 40k to spend I'd have a look at Serra. No direct experience of operating one but I've seen one in action (can't recall the model) and they're fast.

A big step up from the hobby or semi commercial setups most of us on here have.

@Big J has experience with trakmet and is generally very helpful with this sort of thing, if you can get him off his bike long enough to type a reply!

I looked into these for a mobile set up and ended up with a quite in excess of £100k so I’d imagine £40k wouldn’t go far unfortunately. Lovely machines and if money was no object then I’d love one. 

17 hours ago, Big J said:

I'm a few years out of date now, I'll admit.

I worked with a Serra Bavaria belonging to Dan Franklin and it was an impressive machine. Fast and fairly accurate. The wider blades helped. It was actually the mobile version, but statically installed. 

The Trakmet I sold with my business back in 2018 is still going strong. Minimal problems with it and the only weak point (the spindle based raise/lower mechanism) has been replaced with a more conventional chain based mechanism.

Trakmet seem to have grown strongly, and are very popular here in Sweden.

If I were to offer general advice, I'd say:

* Go as heavy as possible. You can't have too much steel

* Go as automated and hydraulic as possible. You want to minimise manual handling.

* Power isn't so important. Cutting speed is nearly always limited by the blade

* Go wide as possible on the blades

* Don't get obsession with super wide cuts - accuracy is hard to maintain on anything over 60-70cm with narrow blades

* Think about your whole production line around the sawmill. This really needs a lot of thought. 

Happy to answer any questions

Thank you for this. Very helpful. I will likely be dropping you a message soon with a couple questions if that's okay. I am planning to go and see a Trak Met in action.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HB98 said:

Waiting on quotes from Mebor. Struggling to find just about anything used at the moment! Any tips?

Not really we use a big vertical bandmill! I think there relatively rare in the UK have seen some used ones in Europe but not sure how to ensure you get a good one!