Is Twenty Plenty?

Doug Tait

We have gone back to older vehicles for this exact reason. I don’t need or want a load of bleepy shit to tell me I’m going to back into something, I have a shiney thing that lets you see behind you stuck out on either side.

We are all (or should be)perfectly capable of checking the oil, water levels and tyres once a week with out a computer.

I can also fix older stuff with out some spotty computer geek needed to find out what unnecessary sensor has just shit it’s self and charging me silly money for the service I don’t want!

The older I get the more I worry about where society as we know it is heading and I’m not exactly a grumpy old bugger - grumpy quite possibly but not so old!

Edited by Will C
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My wife has a Skoda EV.  The most complained about feature apparently is the inability to permanently disable Lane Assist; you have to do it every time you get in the car and that's four screen actions!

But lane assist is bloody lethal! An automated function that grabs the steering from you when you cross a white line?!  No thanks.  It does give you the 'jolt' it's intended to though; my heart skips a beat every time

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, nepia said:

My wife has a Skoda EV.  The most complained about feature apparently is the inability to permanently disable Lane Assist; you have to do it every time you get in the car and that's four screen actions!

But lane assist is bloody lethal! An automated function that grabs the steering from you when you cross a white line?!  No thanks.  It does give you the 'jolt' it's intended to though; my heart skips a beat every time

I think collision avoidance and applying brakes may be good  but something that can alter the steering is worrying. I would readily replace the diesel and transmission in my fiesta as it has no gimmicks but until a simple EV comes out...

I was asked to move my daughter's EV, no way could I get it to go, I had to go back in and ask how to do t, I hadn't fastened the seat belt.

Edited by openspaceman
multiple typos
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, nepia said:

I hear this complaint a lot about the Hyundai too

10 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I was asked to move my daughter's EV

The oh went to London recently, said I'd wash her car while she was away and had a similar experience to you. I'd barely closed the door and it automatically put me in her driving position, folded me up like some mediaeval torture chair!

And when I eventually moved it (thankfully without having to phone her for advice) and started washing it I realised it's huge, the roof of my L200 is easier to wash than her 'little' car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I haven't driven the Kona much, it bleeps at you if you change lanes without indicating but I didn't feel  it affecting the steering.

I've only driven hers on the drive so haven't experienced it myself but she's had a few frights on the road.

5 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

I've only driven hers on the drive so haven't experienced it myself but she's had a few frights on the road.

We have a Kia e-Niro and luckily it is just one button to switch off the lane assist.

Sadly though if you are using cruise control it is always on, but I am used to ignoring it.

For me the worst thing is trying to change radio station while driving.  Touch screens should not be allowed in cars.  Not for the driver anyway.  I much prefer my little van with its actual preset buttons.

• Like 2

There is the " invisible hand " function on a Peugeot Rifter . but a button under the dash to switch it off . It defaults to on every time you switch off though . Before I found the switch of button I was driving over the Eastliegh air port roundabout flyover when they first were doing the " smart " motorway shit . There was so much overbanding , blacked out lane markings , and new temporary lane makings it had a complete hissy fit . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1