Best battery long reach hedgecutter

Mark Bolam

My mate is in the market for a pro battery hedgecutter, long reach.

Most dealers down here are Stihl or Husky, and he’d like dealer back up.

What is considered the best out there?

I’m still a 2-stroke dinosaur, so haven’t paid any attention to battery developments.

He’s prepared to pay pro prices for pro performance.

The husky long reach would be the way to go if he wants a telescopic one (although I do have the Stihl equivalent with no complaints) the gear seems to be more robust. If it's just a standard long arm, have a look at the HLA 135. The motor is at the back, has an actual drive shaft rather than a cable, and uses the same cutting head as petrol machines.

only used the stihl ones. Brilliant bits of kit but for us dont last anything like what the petrol one did.

Most of mine die within a year or so. If i got 2 years id be impressed. since they came out ive gone through about 12 with a 4 man team, i watch over them so not abused. just seems the motors one day randomly pack up. The rest is fine, they have got better with refinements for sure ( especially the pole saw one). 

The batteries on the other hand have yet to die. Got the original ones from when they first came out still going strong! 

7 minutes ago, jose said:

just seems the motors one day randomly pack up.

Are you sure it's the motors dying?  I have a Husky battery polesaw that packed up and 'dead motor' was the first and wrong diagnosis; it actually needed a new main loom which I guess had broken somewhere due to repeated folding and extending

i dont know for sure but with down time and the cost the dealers charge to investigate for a bit more i can have a new one. 

they have gone up a bit now but back in the day a couple of new electronic parts were £120 or so, add labour in and your touching 200. new ones for the body (not batteries) were £350ish and your back to brand new, razor shape blades away you go. 

If i was a home owner id still have one but i could see it lasting for ever (more or less) as its going to have much less use and probably treated better. lets face it employees are what they are.

A bonus for me is i got the lawnmower which runs on the same battery.

• Like 1