lightweight summer work tops

manco

7 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Why have I got an image of @Mick Dempsey wearing this?

With some clogs.

I was going to contribute to this thread anyway.

I have two types of shirt, the standard cotton one, where I sweat like a pig or some of these lightweight breathable things that seem to give you body odour and somehow keep the smell in its memory and releases it early on in the morning.

I tend to err towards the cotton ones as the lesser of two evils.

• Like 2

Have tried the bear valley but the old ones just made me smell and like Mick said the smell stayed no matter how many times you washed.

I only wear arborwear t shirts now and they last years.

You can get them in long sleeves as well.

Edited by treevolution

Anything with merino in … possibly the most comfortable and coolest I’ve found for summer use , absorbs sweat, doesn’t stink like the original helly Hanson polyester base layers did and surprisingly cooler than most items as they are so thin. 
I did have a rab one I that I reduced to rags over two years as I wore it too much , expensive but comfortable. 
Failing that good old cotton farmers country shirts are a favourite for tractor work and forestry but a bit restrictive for climbing but great in emergencys for ripping off the sleeves to wipe your arse or clean up hydraulic oil that’s pissed every where. 

Merrino is the dogs bollocks for keeping cool, and warm, without too much stinking. I can't remember the stats but wool absorbs by far the most amount of water of any fibre, hence why it stays feeling comfortable for longer.

I'd second the Farmers shirts option. These are good;;

WWW.WARWICKSHIRECLOTHING.COM

Country Classics is a UK-based outdoor clothing brand that offers a wide range of stylish and practical clothing for men...

An even cheaper and harder wearing option for good old fashioned cotton is Army Surplus stuff. Dirt cheap and very robust. More suited to winter work I guess but there's always lighter weight and short sleeve tops as well. I don't see the point in wasteing big money on gear that's going to get trashed sooner rather than later.

In my early 20’s I used to go to Oxfam and buy old dress shirts to work in - they cost about 50p each. I always remember my boss’s face when he saw I had cut the cuffs off a saville row made shirt because the sleeves were too long. Was probably worth a weeks wages ! 🤣

7 hours ago, Pete Mctree said:

In my early 20’s I used to go to Oxfam and buy old dress shirts to work in - they cost about 50p each. I always remember my boss’s face when he saw I had cut the cuffs off a saville row made shirt because the sleeves were too long. Was probably worth a weeks wages ! 🤣

Edited by difflock