Prices

Raven

Just wanting to get a feel for people's beliefs as it's been discussed a lot on site today. 

I'm a climber with 17 yrs experience i arrive on site with a van, 2 chainsaws, blower and rigging kit. I have my own insurance and paid £7000 5 years ago to renew my tickets. I charge £250 a day and tbh feel bad about it, I honestly don't think anyone is worth more than that. I get 5 days a week every week and have to turn work down, one of the other climbers today on site was telling me how I should charge 350 and which companies to apply to but I honestly couldn't dare ask that kind of money. At the end of the day I'm doing the same work as I was doing 10 yrs ago for half the money. Also back then I had so much more endurance, now I can do around 10-11 Pollard's a day but back then I could do easy 15. Anyway just wanted to open some kind of dialogue on the matter as maybe I'm just being stupid.

• Like 1

Go in at £350 with new clients and see what happens. I think a couple of saws, a rigging kit and 17 years of experience is worth more than £250 a day. Prices are on the rise, don't mug yourself off.

• Like 1

I would also go for £300 to £350 a day. 

Means you can put a £100 a day into a pension pot for when you can only do 4 Pollards a day. 

People really need to think long term with day rates. 

It should not be wow I'm on £250 a day but rather how much I want a year plus sick holiday pension and everything else a freelance needs. 

Work that out and you probably need £350 a day. 

Climbers are in high demand at present so make the most of it. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Treetom15 said:

What part of the country are you in bud? If you can get 350 a day then I’d jump at that, I’m in Shropshire/north wales area and most good climbers here are 200ish so that’s a fair increase! 

As you mentioned it depends which part of the country you are living.

There’s a few thoughts initially mate.

If you’re a freelance climber you don’t need your own insurance, so fuck that off as soon as you read this.

You don’t need it, and they will never pay out. Ever. But will happily take your money.

Rigging kit?

No. Any decent outfit will have their own.

Who’s running the ropes?

A gyppo kid or £80/day jobseeker?

You must be in London with the prices you mention, and if you’re good you’re worth every penny of £300-350, but sack off all the other shit and make Glendales pay.

I’m in SE Kent, gun climbers on £220.

And I mean gun, Danny Mac gun.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

There’s a few thoughts initially mate.

If you’re a freelance climber you don’t need your own insurance, so **************** that off as soon as you read this.

You don’t need it, and they will never pay out. Ever. But will happily take your money.

Rigging kit?

No. Any decent outfit will have their own.

Who’s running the ropes?

A gyppo kid or £80/day jobseeker?

You must be in London with the prices you mention, and if you’re good you’re worth every penny of £300-350, but sack off all the other shit and make Glendales pay.

I’m in SE Kent, gun climbers on £220.

And I mean gun, Danny Mac gun.

It’s an interesting point this one. I’m in SE London and a shit hot climber seems to go for around £250 in this part of the world.

I do NOT have the same experience as the OP but I was consistently selling work in the £175-200 bracket when I was subbying. 

However I was offered £180 a day regular work in Bath the other day and I keep hearing rumours of similar day rates in other parts of the country. 

I think it’s a myth that London climbers are on silly money. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JackR said:

It’s an interesting point this one. I’m in SE London and a shit hot climber seems to go for around £250 in this part of the world.

I do NOT have the same experience as the OP but I was consistently selling work in the £175-200 bracket when I was subbying. 

However I was offered £180 a day regular work in Bath the other day and I keep hearing rumours of similar day rates in other parts of the country. 

I think it’s a myth that London climbers are on silly money. 

In my experience you’ll always get the odd company out there prepared to pay over the odds for a good climber. 

scenario is climber does the odd day for said company, next thing boasts about charging £350 a day where the reality is 90% of his work is well below this rate 

• Like 12