Weight estimation for level load of Leylandii wood in single cab pickup

briscoe

Spring assistance airbags are great on my pickups, make them much nicer to tow with also.

I agree with the above, the system is fked. Pikeys don't care, the amount of downplated 5.5t trucks advertising rubish clearance with a grab crane and greedy boards is unreal. Then you have all the plant and arb lads running bent with tractors. Nothing ever happens. I know a lad got pulled whilst moving diggers, copper just said to run white in the tractor. No mention of the fact that the agri exemption for driver etc doesn't apply if you are not doing an agri task.

Seriously tempted to get myself a larger tractor and crane to be honest.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, doobin said:

I know a lad got pulled whilst moving diggers, copper just said to run white in the tractor. No mention of the fact that the agri exemption for driver etc doesn't apply if you are not doing an agri task.

Plod wont investigate whether diggers are being used for ditching or shed footing etc for agriculture usage or whether its for Mrs Miggins new drive - yes, I've seen fastracs in suburbia with roll on roll off trailers.

The key phrase is "hire or reward" so if you're transporting diggers about on red and it's for your own use then they can't touch you. If Vosa or whatever they're called now, passed Mrs Miggins' house in the eg above, then expect the tank to be dipped.

IME

Edited by Sutton

6 hours ago, briscoe said:

Or go for 3.5t tipper towing a 2 t trailer and 750kg chipper. If this is legal then hard to see how this would be safer that 1.5 t loaded in tipper.

4x4 with 3.5t trailer is the biggest legal payload without going O license etc, challenge is what to do for a chipper and the fact that as a combination it's huge. Fine around the villages but rubbish in town, can't get it in quite a few driveways.

• Like 1

Back in the days of yore I do remember the trannie with a a full ( to the point of no more physical room ) load of sopping wet chip and dragging a Jensen A 540 up Burry Hill with the whole lot slowing to a halt in 1st gear .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Back in the days of yore I do remember the trannie with a a full ( to the point of no more physical room ) load of sopping wet chip and dragging a Jensen A 540 up Berry Hill with the whole lot slowing to a halt in 1st gear .

It’s Bury hill Stubs, but I forgive you. 
View from the top looking east is worth it though!

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Clutchy said:

To be fair, not the picture I weighed on, id say 20% more when i got weighed but it definitely isn't what i call a proper load 

Goes to show how little the new transits can take once you add a couple of tool boxes and an arb back 

Does anyone know if having a trailer weighs the van down more? Guessing only by 50kg or so 

More like 100kg plus for the nose weight that needs to come of the MAM & rear axle limits.

16 hours ago, briscoe said:

Slightly scary:

Normally, a fixed penalty would be inappropriate for serious cases of overloading - for example when the vehicle is overloaded by 30% and over.

In the case of a 680kg payload, an excess of 204kg ( really 6-7 reasonable sized logs) might see you in a court summons situation and potential license suspension. 

They mean 30% over the MAM, GTW or axle limits not pay load allowance.

So with a 3500kg vehicle thats 10% 350kg, 20% 700kg & 30% 1050kg.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

And before anyone starts bleating on about brakes, remember the truck is plated for 6225 GTW, so they can handle a bit of extra chip before I fail to stop and wipe out a busload of orphans.

I don’t take the piss, but 1500kg of chip locally wouldn’t be uncommon.

Ok I will bleat.

That 6225kg is with a braked trailer.

With an unbraked one its just 4250kg ie 750kg over loaded putting it in the over 15% group.

• Like 3

I love how electric vans are allowed to weigh 4.25 tonne and can be driven on the same license as 3.5 

Why not increase it for all of us! 

There is not a single arb 3.5t van towing a chipper that isn't overloaded most days. I don't need a bigger van, just a bigger payload! I think 5.5t without needed a new license or O license, or 12 weekly checks is a fair solution 

• Like 4

• Steve Bullman changed the title to Weight estimation for level load of Leylandii wood in single cab pickup