How much to charge for a days work

Newtons

How long is a piece of string? 

Figure out what you need to get to break even then add wages and a profit margin.

there's a few variables, your workrate, competency, ability to organise work, the work available locally, the wealth of your working radius, yard rental, machine reliability and suitability, employee holidays, employee abilities, employee inflicted machine damage, insurance, fuel, vehicle costs, local market conditions, repayments, servicing, maintenance and repair abilities and costs, compliance costs, then there's the less well known costs, wife or ho bills, needy kids, beer allowance, Colombian talc allowance, meth to get you going, weed to sleep, physio, counselling, spiralling pub tab, therapy sessions, rehab. Of course minus clawback when you eventually sell the van and chipper and get a job in tesco. You won't sell the saws, a knacker will have made off with them while yer in the pub. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Newtons said:

Anyones welcome to share, my question is how much to charge a days for a days work with 2 men. Including truck , chipper , experienced climber, groundsman and a whole load of waste ??? In south east England would be ideal but also interested in all areas. 

Comes down to what your costs are and what profit margin you require to sustain your business and lifestyle....not what 'everyone else is charging' This is what I find an issue with tradesmen and the like. Freds charging £250 a day, and I'm only £200 a day, so I'm now going to charge £250......this is blinkered logic. Every business and/or individual is different.....work your costs out, work out how much profit you wish to make and charge accordingly...don't take someone elses charges as a yardstick for your business.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pleasant said:

Comes down to what your costs are and what profit margin you require to sustain your business and lifestyle....not what 'everyone else is charging' This is what I find an issue with tradesmen and the like. Freds charging £250 a day, and I'm only £200 a day, so I'm now going to charge £250......this is blinkered logic. Every business and/or individual is different.....work your costs out, work out how much profit you wish to make and charge accordingly...don't take someone elses charges as a yardstick for your business.

Agreed - although what other firms are charging can give you an idea of what customers will pay (at least if you are looking at successful ones).  But the other factors you mention are def the most significant.

19 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Agreed - although what other firms are charging can give you an idea of what customers will pay (at least if you are looking at successful ones).  But the other factors you mention are def the most significant.

'Will pay' or 'will have to pay' if you create effectively a cartel in your area.....then you get prices chasing prices because one charges more then so does everyone else.....and then you have to start chasing for customers long term. Charging 'what you can get away with' simply inflates prices and reduces custom long term, when in reality if you look at your business plan rather than other peoples you will find what others charge is irrelevant to your individual needs to run a profitable business. it will also give you an indicator where to be more efficient if your calculations conclude your daily rate is actually more than the opposition. Personally, simply charging more because someone else is seemingly 'getting away with it' is immoral....even though it may appear to be a normal business practice for some. We all moan about pterol prices and how all oil companies seem to charge the same and put prices up at the same time like it's some conspiracy........but then doing the same in your own business ?

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 2