How much to charge for a days work

Newtons

11 hours ago, Newtons said:

Thanks for replying everyone I do have a figure in mind after the daily costs of running the company and the profit margin I want.

just wanted to see if I was around the same ball point mark, but like Arbtalk there’s never any straight answers 😂

I just cant see how you would expect to get a straight answer on this subject, its a bit like going round every one in the pub on a Friday night and asking them how much they get paid, some would be daft enough to tell you, but most would just tell you f,  ,k off, every one thinks different and every business runs different so as others have said work your costs out + a profit + a bit more incase you have a cock up, so really there is no answer to your question and the only person who can answer your question is yourself ,,,   

• Like 2

I have found that my total costs run at about 65% of turnover, excluding vat. I'm assuming you're not reg yet. I have relatively low overheads, but pay staff well.

35% of 500 is 175 profit. I could earn that subbing without all the hours and stress and financial commitment of running a business. Your costs may be a greater or lesser % than mine, time and experience will tell.

J.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Clutchy said:

Everyone is so coy when it comes to pricing on here. 

Why not just say, doesn't have to be exact. 

You're not going to be undercut just because you've disclosed your numbers. 

The more we talk numbers the better it is for the industry - I think 

How will it be better for the industry?

6 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

How will it be better for the industry?

I'm not sure but I was thinking with a scenario of someone on here realises they're charging a fair bit under market rate (location shouldn't make more than 10-15% difference) and may then be inclined to up their prices in line. 

I don't think talking about it can make it worse 

'and may then be inclined to up their prices in line'

So someone may not need to, but will do so simply because they think they can?

I don't like this practice..it is unjust, immoral and stinks of corporate cartels. Work to the profit margin you require given your costs....if you can reach that target without having to effectively fix prices by charging what others are, then good on you and good on your customers.

55 minutes ago, Clutchy said:

I'm not sure but I was thinking with a scenario of someone on here realises they're charging a fair bit under market rate (location shouldn't make more than 10-15% difference) and may then be inclined to up their prices in line. 

I don't think talking about it can make it worse 

I would think you’d have to take London out of the equation, 50% plus wouldn’t be unheard of, and perhaps more.

1 hour ago, pleasant said:

'and may then be inclined to up their prices in line'

So someone may not need to, but will do so simply because they think they can?

I don't like this practice..it is unjust, immoral and stinks of corporate cartels. Work to the profit margin you require given your costs....if you can reach that target without having to effectively fix prices by charging what others are, then good on you and good on your customers.

I find your line of thinking bizarre to be honest. The money in arb isn't great no matter who you are. It ranges from poor to just about acceptable I'd say. How we can be accused of running cartels to rip off customers? It's arb not narcos.

Who's to say who 'needs' what in terms of profit margin? Should an outfit charge less because they are, for example, more efficient and have lower running costs than another that over extended themselves on finance for new kit that they could work without?

Generally speaking (emergency works excepted) tree work is discretionary expenditure for clients - domestic ones at least. Ultimately, if prices are too high / funds too low, then they won't get the work done. Our ability to somehow collude to inflate prices just simply isn't there.