Zombosis

Chain Sharpening Service  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay someone else to sharpen your chains?

• Yes, if the price was right I'd love someone else to do it
    • Once in a blue moon maybe but I tend to look after my own as needed
    • NO chance! I don't trust anyone to do it properly

50 minutes ago, Stere said:

Side line to what?

CBN wheels  will be alot better also.

Yes, get a CBN wheel. That machine with a CBN wheel is magic. You can get them as sharp as a fresh file, and it's very quick with they hydraulic clamp..

• Thanks 1

I've been having a good clear up recently, and I've found 28 various chains! From 12 to 25 inch,  all in need of sharpening, a lot of them from a bad state from stump removals etc.

There's no way I'm Sharpening that lot by hand, but with the price of everything these days it's going to be well worth me getting them all done, especially as it will be 1 trip to drop them all off, not a couple at a time.

It'll then be up to me to be disciplined and sharpen the chain that's on the saw until its completely dead. 😅That way I'll have pretty much a lifetime supply 👍

But day to day there's not really an alternative to just sharpening as you go🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

you can temper the cutter with the grinding stone which means you can no longer hand sharpen with files. 

Actually tempering is the process by which you reduce the initial hardness to a selected Rockwell figure . Do you mean you can over harden the cutter ?  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Actually tempering is the process by which you reduce the initial hardness to a selected Rockwell figure . Do you mean you can over harden the cutter ?  

That's exactly what I meant, cheers Stubby, I've watched too much 'Forged in Fire' and think I know the terminology. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

No chance, and certainly not by a machine as crude as that - got one simmilar, it’s ok for “resetting” a knackered big chain but no way near as good as hand sharpened, plus then there’s the depth gauges……

invest more or don’t bother IMO 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mark J said:

That's exactly what I meant, cheers Stubby, I've watched too much 'Forged in Fire' and think I know the terminology. 

The cutter gets hot , possibly cherry red , and then cools quickly = hardening . The cutter gets hot cools slowly = softer ( depending on how slowly its cooled )  Time served toolmaker . 🙂

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As said few pros will want to pay for sharpening but there are a lot of saws used by non pros tree workers who may well be happy to pay. Farmers and hobby users would be your market IMO

If you do give it a go a grinder with a hydraulic clamp would be a must IMO.

I recently bought one that requires clamping for each tooth and this makes it ridiculously slow. Fortunately its not what I got the grinder for as I got it for sharpening bandsaw blades and on that note this might be an option for you.

I was quoted £12 per blade and I can do them myself in about 7 mins! Seems lots of people send away  for bandsaw blade sharpening if threads on here are anything to go by. Not easy items to post mind you 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As said few pros will want to pay for sharpening but there are a lot of saws used by non pros tree workers who may well be happy to pay. Farmers and hobby users would be your market IMO

If you do give it a go a grinder with a hydraulic clamp would be a must IMO.

I recently bought one that requires clamping for each tooth and this makes it ridiculously slow. Fortunately its not what I got the grinder for as I got it for sharpening bandsaw blades and on that note this might be an option for you.

I was quoted £12 per blade and I can do them myself in about 7 mins! Seems lots of people send away  for bandsaw blade sharpening if threads on here are anything to go by. Not easy items to post mind you 

The one the op posted has a hydraulic clamp
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stubby said:

The cutter gets hot , possibly cherry red and the cools quickly = hardening . The cutter gets hot cools slowly = softer ( depending on how slowly its cooled )  Time served toolmaker . 🙂

That explanation has given me a whole new appreciation of the word 'Temper'. 

Cheers.

• Like 3