how long to season Ash & at what point is it fit to burn?

AndyChalmers

Hi all, how long to season Ash & at what point is it fit to burn?  Im running short of firewood as have a fair amount of Ash thats about 30% moisture inside, 15-20% outside.  Plus some damper stuff.  Its stored outside it top covered cages.  Any rough idea how long in the uk winter it will take to dry out before it can be burnt?  Also forget the rules, at what point is ash ok to burn from?

Thanks in advance.  

It takes as long as it takes; there are so many variables.  But ash is one of the few woods that can be burnt green - don't do it as a matter of habit - but you can get away with it a bit less dried than most other species, especially if you mix it in with properly dry stuff

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyChalmers said:

Any rough idea how long in the uk winter it will take to dry out before it can be burnt?  Also forget the rules, at what point is ash ok to burn from?

I suspect too long to consider. Chop it small and use it, as long as you can keep the firebox temperature up (around 800C) it can burn cleanly but you will need more excess air so a loss in efficiency.

I have some cedar logs which had not been split from rounds and last month I split some out and measured the faces at 45% near the bark and 35% near the centre heartwood. Those surfaces are now 10% less but that says little about the insides. A month in the summer at the top of a stack would have got the whole log down to 15%.

It is how long is a piece of string question but I have some crates of ash here that were cut just 3 months ago and are nearing 20%. Sure it been wet but its also been windy and that makes a big difference IME. The ash lengths had sat about for around 4 months before being cut but didn't check the moisture when freshly cut and split.

• Like 2

The thing is , as I have said before , you godda work with what you got . Fcuk yes ,  its not ideal but , you can burn ash green provided you you do whats been suggested above . Mix it with other  seasoned wood and keep the temp up . 👍

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, neiln said:

You could work with what you have.... Or you could get something more suitable.  Leave the ash until next winter when it will be brilliant, buy some dry wood to burn this winter.

Ash is fine mixed with seasoned stuff or even green its good firewood

Edited by topchippyles

I tend to think the old "you can burn ash green" as a bit of a myth based on the fact freshly cut ash has a lower moisture content than most other trees.

I've heated our house for the last few years mostly with ash and I've found it can take a while to season it. If the log still has a high moisture content it'll smoke and provide less heat , just like any other wood.

If it's for personal use then yes, mix a bit in with dryer stuff. Leave it by the fire for a few days etc.

If it's being sold or you have a lot to dry then getting it out in the open on a dry windy day like today does seem to dry it off.

• Like 3

Will burn ok but will produce less heat, create more pollution, & and probably also soot up the flue so might not be very sensible....

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/documents/1958/FR_BEC_Wood_as_Fuel_Technical_Supplement_2010.pdf

Shows ash does do better green as lower % than the any  other common species.....

image.thumb.png.aa2e81689ed808847b0afd84360e6840.png

Edited by Stere
  • Like 2