Recommend evergreen for woodland

spandit

Question

My fledgling woodland is doing well but mostly deciduous so looks pretty sparse and sad in the winter. I have a few Scots pine and holly planted, none of which are doing that well but wondered what evergreen species I could plant to give it some structure/cover at this time of year?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Big J said:

It's really common in these parts. It self seeds with extraordinary vigour, even in places where there is no evidence of local hemlock trees.

There is a lovely mature (ie, over 100ft tall) DF stand near to us with a complete carpet of 20ft hemlock underneath if. It's very pretty.

Might slip a couple in on the Common  ;) hide the Wombles :P K

• Haha 1

I would add some Quercus ilex, good cover, good firewood and full of acorns over Winter. If you want to see how Eucalyptus glaucescens performs in the South East, pop your head round the back of the walled garden at Bedgebury Pinetum. I planted a couple there a while back, the growth rate is actually unbelievable for the time scale, good for quick firewood but sod all else.

• Like 1

Maybe Coastal Redwood.  Might not be that amazing in your lifetime, but eventually may produce world beating specimens (as would Douglas Fir of course).  And fantastic timber, light strong and durable, and maybe create yourself a setting for future Star Wars filming...

How many trees are you talking about planting, a few, or a few thousand.

I had a few bags of mixed self seeded conifers here, kept trying to find new places to put them so they could keep on growing.

May or may not have rehomed some on a moonlit night to some waste ground.

There was some old boys I met a while ago who had been doing "guerrilla gardening" for years, planting trees on any spare land round their village.

2 minutes ago, roys said:

I can supply you a few acres of rhododendrons, free of charge, mature, just come and pick your own and bring a couple of artics, evergreen, great firewood, come on you know you want to, I will even through in lunch for you😀

Wow! What an incredibly generous offer. I'm also after some good ground cover plants. Do you have any Japanese knotweed going spare? 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 2