Manual or Automatic,thoughts please.?

5 shires

8 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Going against the flow maybe, but I prefer manual every time. The auto knows what I am doing but not what I'm about to do hence always to me feels like it's behind the game.

I use the Defender low range for manoeuvring, it's not hard on the clutch.

But as others said, it's a personal preference thing.

Yes I agree here . I always find that when just going slowly in traffic or in a speed restricted area they are always revving too high for the speed you are doing , and to me using more fuel . If you are just flooring it from the get go then yes they are quick . I had to drive an Audi A4 2 litre with an  8 speed auto and it was well quick off the line .

Edited by Stubby

Auto for me too.  And I mean proper hydraulic auto with a torque converter etc, not a manual with electric auto clutch like Merc fitted for a few years to sprinters.  Used to own one of these - what a pain the enormous delay in changing was.  A good auto box coupled with a good gutsy engine is difficult to beat.

• Like 2

Not much experience with automatics.
But I worked for a group who had a brand new custom 7.5t custom transit tipper, pulled bandit 990/925?!?(very big).
11 ton train weight.
Automatic.
It was a nightmare.
It was either screaming or trying to stall itself on the Yorkshire hills.
Couldn’t select the correct gear for toffee.
Should probably try one sometime as my transit has new clutch every year...
[emoji848]🤣[emoji106]

• Like 2

The VAG DSG is absolutely excellent in this respect, i.e. correct gear selection including when pulling heavy/over heavy loads including up hill.

Proved by our wee 1.6TDI DSG pulling a measured 3.2 tonne uphill, over viscious speed bumps, with no fuss and at minimal, but sufficient revs. I was well impressed since the car is rated to only pull 1.6 t max.

Big J has also commented re his Toerags towing prowess.

Our dry DQ200DSG is SHITE at low speed manouvering on a slope, particularily in reverse(and reverse is too high geared) due to the shitty software protecting the shitty dry clutch packs, which CANNOT be allowed to slip AT ALL, however the wet DSG's are bullet proof and better in this respect. There is still a slight pause, and bytimes disconcerting in the face of oncoming traffic, this at road ends from neutral.

The modern TC proper automatics with lock-up are  simply the best of both worlds.

And re off road driving, wor Steyr Puch with the oldschool Merc 4 speed TC autobox is superb off road and for heavy towing.

Derp, just remembered the cousin drives an atuomatic Ford ranger 3.2 diesel, it is faultless towing, and I have sat in with him a few times to form my own conclusions.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, difflock said:

The VAG DSG is absolutely excellent in this respect, i.e. correct gear selection including when pulling heavy/over heavy loads including up hill.

Proved by our wee 1.6TDI DSG pulling a measured 3.2 tonne uphill, over viscious speed bumps, with no fuss and at minimal, but sufficient revs. I was well impressed since the car is rated to pull 1.6 t max.

Big J has also commented re his Toerags towing prowess.

I think it’s going to be a case of I need to have one to make up my own mind but i’am kinda moving more towards an automatic so I will start my search.

Thanks for all reply’s and comments and as always really helpful as it’s good to get first hand knowledge from lads or lassies who have had experience of automatics good,bad or indifferent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

I think it’s going to be a case of I need to have one to make up my own mind but i’am kinda moving more towards an automatic so I will start my search.

Thanks for all reply’s and comments and as always really helpful as it’s good to get first hand knowledge from lads or lassies who have had experience of automatics good,bad or indifferent.

I only spent a couple years driving manuals,had an accident and had to have had autos for over 30 yrs now and they have come a long way in that time,easy driving,great for towing i got a navara now and it pulls a 14ft trailer no problems and good off road aswell.(hows Weaver doing?)

15 minutes ago, gary112 said:

I only spent a couple years driving manuals,had an accident and had to have had autos for over 30 yrs now and they have come a long way in that time,easy driving,great for towing i got a navara now and it pulls a 14ft trailer no problems and good off road aswell.(hows Weaver doing?)

Hi Gary thanks for the reply and Weaver is doing fine he is just very head strong and 120mph all day everyday.here he is 5 mins ago watching the wood pigeons in the garden,always ready to go...love him to bits.hope all good with you fella.🐶👍275EC1C8-0D19-4957-9C91-27C7365A6F85.thumb.jpeg.2f1f87fc1565b815abe6d434a7bf703c.jpeg

• Like 2