WAR FOOTING

topchippyles

Dad did his National Service, (2years?), he hadn't finished his apprenticeship before he went away so he was still on low wages when he got demobbed, mum in the meantime was earning more money than him because she'd finished her apprenticeship. Never sat well with me old man.

Why wasn't anyone's Grandad a farrier/clerk/truck driver during the war?

Most people's Grandads were Snipers/Commando's/LRDG/SAS etc.

With that many killers on our side I wonder how the war could jave lasted 5 years?

My Grandad was actually a founding member of the Deep sea sky diving Battalion after killing all the undersea Japanese in the North Sea he went on to chase Rommel out of North Africa as a member of the Long range desert windsurfing squadron. 

But he never liked to boast.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Why wasn't anyone's Grandad a farrier/clerk/truck driver during the war?

Most people's Grandads were Snipers/Commando's/LRDG/SAS etc.

With that many killers on our side I wonder how the war could jave lasted 5 years?

My Grandad was actually a founding member of the Deep sea sky diving Battalion after killing all the undersea Japanese in the North Sea he went on to chase Rommel out of North Africa as a member of the Long range desert windsurfing squadron. 

But he never liked to boast.

My family were founder members of The Royal Standbacks.

• Like 1

I would love to know what my grandfather did, didn’t talk much about it when asked always changed the subject, so doing a family history search contacted the public records office turns out service record is sealed until 2047 I might just live long enough to find out!

• Like 1

My Grandfather served in WW1 . He survived , obviously , but would not talk about it . Became tearful if pressed . Later became a policeman in Hong Kong . He would talk about that .   My Dad was on aircraft carriers in WW2 .  Mostly he would talk about  the planes . He did win the target shooting though . He had a Ross ( Canadian ) rifle that took the .303 rounds  that the Lee Enfield used but was fussy about the accuracy ( of manufacture )   of the rounds .  It had a longer barrel than the Lee so was more accurate . I dunno why he had it but he did .

• Like 1

My Uncle, David Barrowcliff, joined the army as it was coming to an end. On a training exercise near Northampton, the man behind him slipped and stabbed him in the backside with his bayonet. The war was done by the time he was passed fit for duty. He got his truck licence in the Army and did driving jobs in Austria before being demobbed. Using various machines in post war Austria was a valuable experience for his future as after a few years with the BRS, then working on the construction of Ratcliffe Power Station, he went back into the tree game.