Who knows there Latin?

DTaylor

1 minute ago, EdwardC said:

Actually it's dieback. All one word with no first capital. It's not a proper noun. Which makes me wonder why many arboriculturists capitalise common tree names; Oak, Ash, Beech, Norway Spruce etc. when they should be oak, ash, beech, Norway spruce etc. Norway is a proper noun hence the capitalisation.

I spent most of the afternoon with one eye on my colleague who was taking one of my reports apart. I'll get it back in a few days with enough track changes to keep me busy for a day or two.

Actually it is capitalize and capitalization .  I capitalize tree names as I feel they are important and warrant it , although  I admit it is incorrect . ?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Which side of the Atlantic do you live on?

In fairness, my iPad automatically tries to make me spell certain words in the yankee style, I think I had to change to English English or something to thwart it.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

6 hours ago, Khriss said:

Yr heart is in the right place, Kev.  I drive a British Landrover ( 1966 series 2A) but Latin was actually the language of England for centuries and in place as the written word longer than Modern English which is only about 200 yrs old. K

Makes you wonder which tongue was used when this was Doggerland, Stubby may know :)

Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

I disagree.

Nomenclature is a great thing for increasing an arborists knowledge of trees and their likely associations with the wider environment.

Irrespective of the 'Johnny foreigner importation of plants' angle, nomencalture serves to inform discussion and the transfer of knowledge of plants and their pests and diseases, on a world-wide basis.

The yanks call plane trees 'Sycamores'. That's different to our sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) - Acer tree with leaves that look like a bit like plane leaves.  Plane trees and sycamores are two very different beasts and pose very different management challenges.

Rule Science,
Speak Gaelic.

I agree (with what I interpret as) your broader observation Mark, but disagree with (what I interpret as) your overarching disagreement with the entirety of my post  ?   As ever, mine was (at least in part) la langue dans la joue in the hope that someone might present a better argument and justification for latin nomenclature than I had previously considered. ??

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I agree (with what I interpret as) your broader observation Mark, but disagree with (what I interpret as) your overarching disagreement with the entirety of my post  ?   As ever, mine was (at least in part) la langue dans la joue in the hope that someone might present a better argument and justification for latin nomenclature than I had previously considered. ??

Not just plant, it’s animals as well, if scientist A in Devon wants to contact scientist B in South Africa about why the lesser spotted beetle throttler which is called the mbongo mbingo in Swaziland is late arriving this year, he’s going to need a way of identifying the species. 

• Like 1