Who knows there Latin?

DTaylor

9 hours ago, Khriss said:

Ain't Latin really, but Linnaeus ideas of naming tree families, good system  but a bit out of date with advances in DNA sequencing. 

How is it out of date? There is,  an annual convention/meeting where nomenclaturists  (Is that a made up word?) meet to debate how things should be properly ordered - due to new knowledge etc or where plants/animals/fungi have been previously discovered and named differently. DNA sequencing is only a means of identification, it doesn't change to rules of nomenclature (the ways things are classified). 

1 hour ago, EdwardC said:

A 60 word sentence without a comma or full stop until the end, the use of i as a singular first-person pronoun, and no capitalisation of the first letter. 

I like the Oxford comma.

I may be wrong, but I believe that Steve has previously  said that he suffers from Dyslexia, as do a number of other posters, so I'm sure poor punctuation should be forgivable? Apologies, Steve, (@se7enthdevil), if I'm mistaken.

26 minutes ago, spudulike said:

No idea what you are talking about but certain mistakes in written English do grate....or is that great?

Me n clever bollox Johnson were talking about spoiling n grammar on the the phone yesterday, his old jack tar training of check, check, and check again came up. Me on the other hand don't give a flying unless it's on important paperwork.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, DTaylor said:

Its about time I start learning the Latin names of these trees really. Starting to get embarrassing.....

Anyone got any tricks to help them stick?

You might be better doing a little reading about the relationships between families, genus' and species before diving into the scientific names. No need to go too deep, just enough to gain an understanding about what is what in the scientific name that you are looking at, which part is the genus, which the specific (species) part.

Really it isn't difficult once you learn the common genusus; Acers/maples, Quercus/oaks, Ilex/hollies, Fraxinus/ashes. The specific names, as previously said are often descriptive and once you begin to recognise their meanings it suddenly becomes so much easier.

Find a couple of good websites where there are translations of the meanings and it soon becomes a lot clearer. I did come across a site with an audio pronunciation button, which is handy. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Me n clever bollox Johnson were talking about spoiling n grammar on the the phone yesterday, his old jack tar training of check, check, and check again came up. Me on the other hand don't give a flying unless it's on important paperwork.

'spoiling' n grammar? :lol:

25 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

How is it out of date? There is,  an annual convention/meeting where nomenclaturists  (Is that a made up word?) meet to debate how things should be properly ordered - due to new knowledge etc or where plants/animals/fungi have been previously discovered and named differently. DNA sequencing is only a means of identification, it doesn't change to rules of nomenclature (the ways things are classified). 

I may be wrong, but I believe that Steve has previously  said that he suffers from Dyslexia, as do a number of other posters, so I'm sure poor punctuation should be forgivable? Apologies, Steve, (@se7enthdevil), if I'm mistaken.

not dyslexia but i believe i would be classed as having asperger's if the doctors were to look into it. i'm alot like Chris Packham.

4 minutes ago, se7enthdevil said:

not dyslexia but i believe i would be classed as having asperger's if the doctors were to look into it. i'm alot like Chris Packham.

4 minutes ago, se7enthdevil said:

Sorry Steve, my bad.  Carry on. :thumbup: