Arborist’/tree surgeons and morals

WesD

1 hour ago, wjotner said:

Hi mate. Getting rid of conifers is never bad for the urban landscape, they are - with few exceptions - a blight on the british landscape and every felled conny is an improvement in my book. So keep em coming down ;)

Horrible as they are, they are actually great habitat for wildlife, including bats. :)

• Like 3

On 11/27/2017 at 22:28, skyhuck said:

Wow!!

Got to say I think that stinks and is highly unprofessional, I think your lucky they did not sue you. You should really advertise to your potential clients that you may use "privileged" information against them.

I've walked away from jobs, but never tried to prevent perfectly legal work from taking place.

Utterly bewildered by your comments !!!!!     "Stinks ", " highly unprofessional "   "sue "   for what ??   and have no idea what you mean by "privileged" information  ??     This was in about 1990 , I was working next door to the property when inquiry was made , called Arb officer the next day to inquire about the trees status and was surprised it was not protected .  I do not know how you think trees have become subject to TPO's but it is often as a result of them being under threat , in the past local Arb officers often would not let us know if a tree was protected after an inquiry until they had, had a look and see if it is worthy of preservation ., this was quite common in planning applications for construction sites particularly .Do you think Arb officers used to drive around looking for "nice " trees to TPO ?

22 hours ago, Aicchalmers said:

There's always a certain joy in ruthlessly murdering leylandii for sure but I certainly enjoy seeing a good atlas cedar or dawn redwood or granny pine.

For me there's two aspects, one being perfectly healthy big trees that it feels a crying shame to fell where they aren't really causing any problems.

The other being the slow erosion of the tree cover in the landscape, where you aren't removing anything particularly spectacular but the overall effect is still a huge loss of tree cover and biodiversity.

Answer is always going to be education at the end of the day, too many people don't even notice trees until it blocks their sky TV signal..

Totally agree. And i was only referring to "conny bashing" with regard to Leylandii's and their like. I love cedars and Scots pines especially. 

I think it's always a shame to remove trees entirely though unless they're poor specimens or dangerous. I think the erosion of tree cover should be prevented by councils putting proper safeguards in place by perhaps expanding on conservation areas or getting more TPO's on domestic trees and insisting on replanting the majority of trees being felled within reason.

13 minutes ago, wiley said:

out of interest, does anyone ever get approached for planting advice/work in urban areas? There certainly seems to be more felling than planting!

That’s because you don’t need a tree surgeon to plant a tree, a gardener or house owner usually does it.

When you look at photos from 30/50/70 years ago you’ll see that, in urban areas anyway, tree cover is much higher now.

• Like 1

Wow!!

Got to say I think that stinks and is highly unprofessional, I think your lucky they did not sue you. You should really advertise to your potential clients that you may use "privileged" information against them.

I've walked away from jobs, but never tried to prevent perfectly legal work from taking place.

Think that's bad, how about a competitive company of ours having tpo's put on 3 trees they also priced to remove but didn't get the job to do, managed to get two lifted but 3rd tree is still standing.

5 minutes ago, Gray git said:

Think that's bad, how about a competitive company of ours having tpo's put on 3 trees they also priced to remove but didn't get the job to do, managed to get two lifted but 3rd tree is still standing.

Shit that’s below the belt!! 

Sounds fierce round your way!!