Arborist’/tree surgeons and morals

WesD

On 30/11/2017 at 13:31, billpierce said:

If say so...doubt they were listed when they were built.

If say our system is very much less than perfect but the concept that even if you own the land you should be able to do anything you want with it regardless of what the community wants doesn't sit right with me. I reckon there should be some process and control when people want to alter the landscape/surroundings I.e open cast mining, clear felling woodland, building a new hotel etc etc.

Yes, if someone wants to build a nuclear power station in their back garden then maybe the authorities should step in and put a stop to it but when someone wants to remove just a tree that they did have the right to do but someone else decided they shouldn't have that right then no, the authorities should not dictate what happens to the owners property. Especially considering that the owner is now going to have an ongoing unwanted expense for something that is also causing them grief while everyone else just gets to enjoy their tree for free, doesn't seem right really!

On 30/11/2017 at 14:12, felixthelogchopper said:

It has been known.

Well in that case no, I dont think it is right if the owner does not give consent, but that is a far cry from a listed building to just a tree.

Lets not forget that property is usually the most expensive asset most people will own. To have dictated to you what you must do with that asset when it is purely only for the good of others is IMO ridiculous. I agree with the other comments that TPO trees should be maintained from the public purse as supposedly it is in the public interest to retain them.

I have removed plenty of tree that the owner has had enough of and decided to get rid. Quite often it has been edrly people who neither have the time or the funds to pay the ongoing expense of maintaining their tree.

Now, if said old lady wanted her tree to be cut down due to the fact that she has recently lost her husband who used to clean up the leaves and  can no longer afford to have a yearly inspection and maintenance program and I turned around and not only refused to do the job but then applied to get a TPO put on the tree what kind of a cnt would I be? Does any disagree that they would be a morally wrong thing to do? The above has happened to me on more than one occasion, well in regards to the widowed old dear wanting the tree down, I didnt think twice about doing it let alone try to get them TPO'D!

TBH, it doesnt really matter if the owner is a recently widowed old dear, anyone trying to put a TPO on a tree that isnt theirs and the owner doesnt give consent is not a nice person, i refrained from using the  word cnt instead of nice person as its nearly Christmas. If any one wants to try and convince me otherwise then please try, I may change my mind, im not that stubborn. :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mesterh said:

but when someone wants to remove just a tree that they did have the right to do but someone else decided they shouldn't have that right then no, the authorities should not dictate what happens to the owners property. Especially considering that the owner is now going to have an ongoing unwanted expense for something that is also causing them grief while everyone else just gets to enjoy their tree for free, doesn't seem right really!

Lets not forget that property is usually the most expensive asset most people will own. To have dictated to you what you must do with that asset when it is purely only for the good of others is IMO ridiculous. I agree with the other comments that TPO trees should be maintained from the public purse as supposedly it is in the public interest to retain them.

Now, if said old lady wanted her tree to be cut down due to the fact that she has recently lost her husband who used to clean up the leaves and  can no longer afford to have a yearly inspection and maintenance program and I turned around and not only refused to do the job but then applied to get a TPO put on the tree what kind of a cnt would I be? Does any disagree that they would be a morally wrong thing to do? The above has happened to me on more than one occasion, well in regards to the widowed old dear wanting the tree down, I didnt think twice about doing it let alone try to get them TPO'D!

How much does it actually cost to maintain a TPO tree? Not really that much...My parents have got quite a lot of TPO trees. They don't get a "yearly inspection"... Is there a legal requirement to get someone round to provide a "yearly inspection"?

I live in a listed building. Maybe the "public purse" should maintain my house as well? It's not really fair that I have to maintain a building from my pocket when the general public get the benefit.

It's the same with forestry and agriculture. It's clearly not right that the landowner has to maintain fences and gates etc then some pleb gets to walk over your land for free.  The public should pay a bit more tax so that landowners dont have to maintain their own land.

Then you get some protected wildlife on your land and you can't shoot it!!  What's that all about? 

Good thread
Working for my LA i come across all sorts of people and trees but its not up to us what works are performed upon the trees,thats up to the TO.
Subbing ive walked away from 1 job but that wasnt a tree issue but inexperienced groundsman.I have rejected jobs just because i didnt want to butcher trees,not many mind but a few-most were removing all the branches on one side of a conifer and pruning back to the boundry sort of thing.My standards are low but i do have a limit.
I like trees but i cut them for a living so i think it would be hypocritical to condem anyone for taking work that is suspect or isnt in the trees best interests.

Great thread! And I agree with all sides of the argument, I always say health of the tree first asthetics second and somewhere Inbetween what the customer wants, it's tricky because at times you'll be asked to do things Amrit know aren't ethical or just wrong, but at the same time if you don't do it someone else will, not staying that's justification for doing the job tho, it's just a balancing act coz at the end of the day we do this work because we need to earn money.....there's only so many jobs u can keep walking away from, at some point food needs to be put on the table! I think if u can do a job and finish it thinking I did the best i can to accommodate the trees needs and the customer then I think that's acceptable! Great to put this thread out there tho coz it may actually make a lot of peeps think about how they operate, can only be a good thing' [emoji1303]
  • Like 2

Not quite the same but had a client contact me about a storm damaged tree wanting to know if we could do anything with it, remove it was my answer
aa27d9f1334baf029640121bab364124.jpg quote excepted
Got council permission as it had tpo and put in a request for a powerline shutdown as has a lv line to the house under the canopie at the back to be told today the powerline contractor is going to do it for the client for free so loosing me a decent days work.
Good for the client, bad for us.

10 minutes ago, Gray git said:

Not quite the same but had a client contact me about a storm damaged tree wanting to know if we could do anything with it, remove it was my answer
Got council permission as it had tpo and put in a request for a powerline shutdown as has a lv line to the house under the canopie at the back to be told today the powerline contractor is going to do it for the client for free so loosing me a decent days work.

looks like a lot of work to be doing for nothing! shame to loose work in that way too :(

11 hours ago, matelot said:

How much does it actually cost to maintain a TPO tree? Not really that much...My parents have got quite a lot of TPO trees. They don't get a "yearly inspection"... Is there a legal requirement to get someone round to provide a "yearly inspection"?

I live in a listed building. Maybe the "public purse" should maintain my house as well? It's not really fair that I have to maintain a building from my pocket when the general public get the benefit.

It's the same with forestry and agriculture. It's clearly not right that the landowner has to maintain fences and gates etc then some pleb gets to walk over your land for free.  The public should pay a bit more tax so that landowners dont have to maintain their own land.

Then you get some protected wildlife on your land and you can't shoot it!!  What's that all about? 

Well cost obviously depends on the tree! Of course it costs money, a lot more than the owner who wanted it out is happy to pay I bet. Yes, all tree should be inspected regardless if they have a TPO or not,  I suggest your parents speak to their insurance company for their recommendations of how frequent. I dont think it is a legal requirement though. I know more than a couple of customers who have had the insurance refuse to pay due to not carrying out regular inspections.

You are comparing apples to kiwi fruits in regards to listed buildings etc, you get plenty of benefits from it and land owners get plenty of use and benefits from their land. A tree getting in the way of a home owner enjoying their much loved and costly property is not benefiting them at all. 

Not sure about the protected wildlife thing, I didnt realise most people needed to shoot stuff.

53 minutes ago, Gray git said:

I had a power line company offer to "prune" a tree for free after I had contacted them as part of a job.. I arranged it and we were onsite during the works, they were right butchers, and so we spent some time making it look nice and we did the clear up.. I invoiced the client.