Reg on one handing a saw

stihlmadasever

Most of us start out doing things 'by the book' and end developing our own set of standards (usually 'less safe', from an industry standard POV atleast)

I think that pretty much sums it up - cetainly does for myself anyways.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a lot of years cutting I've only had a topper come back at me once, and at the time I posted the experience on here.

Yes, I still cut one handed a lot, but having that chain come to a stop a few inches from my throat with the bar flat on my chest will always be in my memory.

Most of us regard ourselves as being fit and with good reflexes, but it was too quick and powerful for me to have any effect on, but I'm still cutting one handed.

Well said Reg.

We're all adults and can make our own choices about safety aspects in our life. I think how you start out in the industry impacts hugley on how you end up in ten years time. Most of us start out doing things 'by the book' and end developing our own set of standards (usually 'less safe', from an industry standard POV atleast). Starting out with bad practices however is less than ideal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Unfortunately, HSE think otherwise.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but my take on Reg's video is that it doesn't matter how safe you work overall, how successful you may within the industry or how how experienced you are - This fella's attitude is that use a saw one-handed and you're a dummy!

On one of my felling course I walked into the danger zone and was criticized by the assessor. My reasoning was that was the only safe zone for that tree was going to end up littered with dead falling branches which happened. I explained this to the assessor, but no, I'd walked into the danger zone.

With some experience, in any given situation there's conscious decisions to make. Using a saw s/h may not allowed/recommended/whatever, but there is only one person, reasonably, in a position to judge when it's appropriate.

Tree surgeon in Oxford bled to death when his chainsaw cut his throat | Daily Mail Online

How did this happen?

Is it somewhere else on Arbtalk...?

I'll use a saw one handed at full stretch but never ever cut and hold.

Ty

Did you watch the video embedded in the story? Given the context of the story, there's some fairly lazy (over confident maybe) work practices in the vid - cutting with the big saw one handed whilst hand banging the wedge in with the other hand.....

Not judging.... Just observing!! P poor video to attach to that story under the circumstances perhaps....

But then, nobody should be beyond reproach either, including Mark and others that pass themselves off as industry leaders. It's not unreasonable to ask questions of anybody.

That's the problem in a nutshell, too many people or groups of people setting themselves up as exectutors of good practice and considering themselves beyond reproach and as you've mentioned in the past not all but without a doubt some are totally agenda driven. Ironically it's frequently the people least interested in being 'Leader' who are best placed to actually lead, I guess some like the title of Leader more than the actual role.

Just keep stating your opinion, personally I think it's worth hearing :thumbup1: