Reg on one handing a saw

stihlmadasever

This thread is going to run and run! And it should.It's about as relevant as you can get for an Arboricultural site and specifically for the climbing Arborist/Tree Surgeon.I watch most of Reg's videos first thing in the morning,normally with my breakfast and find them actually very relaxing and thought provoking.I look up to him that's for sure! Today i watched it soaking in the bath as i woke early and its a great way to start the day....but that's just me.This forum if anything works best as a platform for peoples opinions."To one handle or not one handle?,that is the question"...For me at full stretch out on a limb with one hand on my rope for stability it's a great way to reach that pefect cut.I like the deep thought that Reg put's into his Video rants/perspectives whatever you want to call them.For me,they aren't long enough.😎

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree totally, the industry needs someone well respected enough to be at least listened to who is unafraid to speak out against a lot of the bull$hit. The "Message to Young Treeworkers" was a perfect example.

IMO RCO is as down to earth, honest and free from agenda as it's possible to get. :thumbup1:

Appreciate Reg's honesty on the matter, I'm not sure if you really feel that deeply about the subject, it seems as though the blog about being a dummy was taken to heart. I definitely don't think it's necessary to take it personally, and didn't think it was really worthwhile point out some of his short fallings in the second video.

We're all adults and can make our own choices about safety aspects in our life. I think how you start out in the industry impacts hugley on how you end up in ten years time. Most of us start out doing things 'by the book' and end developing our own set of standards (usually 'less safe', from an industry standard POV atleast). Starting out with bad practices however is less than ideal.

Also Reg I've watched your videos for a few years and I'm sure in one, your line is 'I'm one handing the saw; because I'm a lazy ****er' or words to that effect, but can't for the life of me remember which video it was, even after an hour of looking back through some old videos!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Appreciate Reg's honesty on the matter, I'm not sure if you really feel that deeply about the subject, it seems as though the blog about being a dummy was taken to heart. I definitely don't think it's necessary to take it personally, and didn't think it was really worthwhile point out some of his short fallings in the second video.

We're all adults and can make our own choices about safety aspects in our life. I think how you start out in the industry impacts hugley on how you end up in ten years time. Most of us start out doing things 'by the book' and end developing our own set of standards (usually 'less safe', from an industry standard POV atleast). Starting out with bad practices however is less than ideal.

Also Reg I've watched your videos for a few years and I'm sure in one, your line is 'I'm one handing the saw; because I'm a lazy ****er' or words to that effect, but can't for the life of me remember which video it was, even after an hour of looking back through some old videos!!

Well havin just read the blog, how does someone like Reg not take it personally?... the fella was clearly alluding to people like Reg, "who people look up to"... he was basically calling out Reg on his attitude to one handing a chainsaw... no regards to reg's experience and and safety conscious attitude to his work...

And I remember that vid, Reg was obviously winding up the health an safety Nazi's like this fella...

I remember that but I think that comment might have been somewhat tongue in cheek.

Not uncommon for RCO, very funny guy (I don't mean strange), dry sense of humour, you always see the little smile before or after such comments and they're really obvious as he's normally so serious looking :thumbup1:

The best piece of advice I've probably ever had was in the speedline video where he mentioned the "F*** it- Cut" Classic, one easy thing to remember, what not to do rather than a dozen things you should do, what's easier to remember when you're under pressure or in a stressful situation?

Yes, I remember saying that. But it was actually my idea of a joke, and not to be taken literally. I think I've demonstrated enough times that I'm far from a lazy f.....

In regards to saying stuff about Mark....well, it's not made up, and hardly attacking him either. Just pointing out some of the things that don't add up. Unlike the forum, or youtube or whatever, his blog does not facitate any kind of feedbaclk or debate. Just one way traffic. If I'm wrong or out of order about anything, I have no problem apologizing and deleting the videos even.

Yes I understand Reg's humour and admire him as an arborist, regardless of a difference in approach to work. I do appreciate Reg's down to earth attitude but was surprised to see that he was obviously impacted by someone else's opinion of his work practices!

Personally I won't work with people who one hand a saw as I dont want to have to deal with the added risk (as an employer).

That's fair enough but to be honest IMO one handing is such a small part (or at least only one aspect of safety) of the overall risk involved that I'd prefer to work with someone competent who one hands rather than someone who religiously 2 hands but is less competent, I think RCO has demonstrated his competence, as for being lazy, well I've never seen anyone take so much care with his directional cuts or setting the hinge when circumstances demand it regardless of whether he's climbing or on the ground.

Yes I understand Reg's humour and admire him as an arborist, regardless of a difference in approach to work. I do appreciate Reg's down to earth attitude but was surprised to see that he was obviously impacted by someone else's opinion of his work practices!

It's no surprise at all that I'm far from everyones cup of tea....as I'm reminded often. That's life :001_smile: I'd go so far as to say there's plenty in and around where I work now that absolutely despise me.

But then, nobody should be beyond reproach either, including Mark and others that pass themselves off as industry leaders. It's not unreasonable to ask questions of anybody.