Reg on one handing a saw

stihlmadasever

RMac I believe the picture is of tree work in general most people are right handed or if not still hold the saw in a conventional way meaning most let injuries occur to the left leg that's easy to understand when you look at it like that.

But how to explain injuries to the left hand which are very high? Only reasonable assumption is one handed use.

Marc I understand what you're getting at but regarding the leg injuries wouldn't pro users be wearing PPE where probably most domestic (in the US) users wouldn't be. The point I was making is how many of the injuries (hand,leg or other) are sustained by pro users? you can't draw the conclusion that the left hand injuries are mainly caused by pro users one handing a topper while the other injuries, specifically the left leg are sustained by domestic users. How many of the left hand injuries were sustained by domestic users on the ground using a topper one handed while holding a branch/log and how many are the result of pro users one handing a topper? that's really the point I was getting at.

Why look at 17993 hand injuries and draw a conclusion yet ignore 16348 leg injuries completely?

Edited by R Mac

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And from that blog the thing that stands out for me is this

which makes a laughing stock of itself and any arguments that follow since its all based on an assumption.

Its all keyboard gum banging of little consequence, but a little controversy is always good to keep your web counter spinning or improve your you tube ranking.

I also like the part comparing one handed use to" a bit like poking fingers in blenders...":laugh1:

Also not really sure how someone can say they have never done it but then comment that it isn't more efficient etc etc.:confused1: because of that I can't take the blog seriously.

R Mac I don't think he is ignoring the leg injuries it's just not relevant (well it is as leg injuries are just as much a product of poor saw handling and positioning as the hand injuries) also those stats are from the states? Most user do not wear chainsaw trousers just chaps on occasion and I am sure many do not even wear them.

I have met 100's of arborist and cuts to left arm/hand from one handing the saw cut n chuck style seemed to me to be a common injury. I am sure most of us know someone who has cut their arm/hand ?

R Mac I don't think he is ignoring the leg injuries it's just not relevant (well it is as leg injuries are just as much a product of poor saw handling and positioning as the hand injuries) also those stats are from the states? Most user do not wear chainsaw trousers just chaps on occasion and I am sure many do not even wear them.

I have met 100's of arborist and cuts to left arm/hand from one handing the saw cut n chuck style seemed to me to be a common injury. I am sure most of us know someone who has cut their arm/hand ?

Most of the US users on youtube seem to be wearing chainsaw shorts and flipflops:biggrin:

.....I think Mark is spot on for the most part, using a saw one handed is 90% of the time unnecessary and down to laziness....

There is both truth and error in the above quote. First, analyze the term "lazy". Doing something an easier way; hummm, sounds like something we are constantly striving for in our line of work because as we know, fatigue is a major factor in injuries. "Laziness", in truth, has been the driving force in the advancement of our climbing technologies. Our bodies will often recognize what our mind will not.

When going through accident reports, it is important to remember that what we do is dangerous. As Reg said, aside from ignorance, safety has more to do with the individual than it does the technique. Very few people that I see climbing should be. And even fewer should be using a chainsaw at the same time let alone with one hand.

Marc I already said that, twice. The point is that you can't take an image illustrating chainsaw injuries and cherry pick one part to defend an argument while ignoring the rest. There is no data on the image or blog post to say whether the data relates to Pro users/domestic users or both, if it's both the results are barely relevant to the argument. There's a vast difference in saw stability/control between one handing a topper while holding a branch that's still attached to the tree and holding an already severed branch or small log unsupported in one hand while cutting it with the saw one handed in the other and a look on Youtube shows plenty of domestic users (Mainly in the US) doing just that, they surely must account for a fair number of the injuries shown, arguably the biggest percentage.

I'm certainly not suggesting that none of the injuries were sustained by pro's one handing a topper but I'm guessing that a high percentage weren't caused by a pro one handing. I only know of one guy who cut his left hand with a topper, a guy with no qualifications, he told me he was using a topper one handed on the ground, it kicked back and he put up his left hand to protect himself (probably wasn't wearing a helmet either) and ended up with a load of stitches on the palm of his left hand.

There is both truth and error in the above quote. First, analyze the term "lazy". Doing something an easier way; hummm, sounds like something we are constantly striving for in our line of work because as we know, fatigue is a major factor in injuries. "Laziness", in truth, has been the driving force in the advancement of our climbing technologies. Our bodies will often recognize what our mind will not.

When going through accident reports, it is important to remember that what we do is dangerous. As Reg said, aside from ignorance, safety has more to do with the individual than it does the technique. Very few people that I see climbing should be. And even fewer should be using a chainsaw at the same time let alone with one hand.

I agree completely DMC, perhaps my statement was to broad, to be honest I rarely think about it and do whatever I feel comfortable with, although I can't help think that I could do 95% of my cuts with both hands on the saw if I wanted, but I don't I use one hand on the saw an awful lot, I put this down to being simply lazy but I like the way you put it and in actual fact I am being advanced :001_cool: