When your own dog turns on you.

eggsarascal

Anyone on here ever watch the Dog Whisperer? Not that I presume dog owners (Im not one) don't understand dog psychology, but it was an eye opener for me. Sometimes the devil is in the detail, small modifications in family behaviour dynamics can have a major impact of dogs, apparently. Wish it worked on cats.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

beware of small yappy dogs, poms in particular. my dads best friends so family friend had one and he was a terror, if you tried to drive away he would start yapping and barking at you. if you weren't careful he would nip your foot as you were entering your car/van. as you were driving away he would run around your vehicle, barking. one day while my dad was leaving he ended up hitting the dog with his van.

this same neighbor had an incident with a cat, which bit him as he was breaking up a fight between them, his arm swelled up and he had to have an operation. anyway he was made fun of because he got bit by a black pussy.

Have you ever wondered where the saying Mad Dogs n Englishman originated?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Dogs_and_Englishmen_(song)

I've had to put down a purebred Akita in it's prime for nipping a playmate of my son, a toddler. My fault for letting an outdoor territorial dog into the house, while visitors were in the house too.

Condolences on losing your friend in such a manner mate.

Jomoco

Have you ever wondered where the saying Mad Dogs n Englishman originated?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Dogs_and_Englishmen_(song)

I've had to put down a purebred Akita in it's prime for nipping a playmate of my son, a toddler. My fault for letting an outdoor territorial dog into the house, while visitors were in the house too.

Condolences on losing your friend in such a manner mate.

Jomoco

Must try harder.

If you read back the dog is back home........ Last chance saloon.

My one in a million dream dog only lived seven years before pancreatic cancer killed him.

Purebred German Shepard bought for home protection after my firstborn's arrival, but preferred guarding my tooltruck under an umbrella.

image.jpg.b3f1bcfb3dd0db904f4b04076ed4fef6.jpg

glad about that eggs, 100% sound decision if only the 2 of you.

I do constantly attempt to try to explain that collies , and indeed rotties will "nip" as part of their herding instinct, generally to the lower leg.

Never mind bloody jack russels.

This Should NOT be interpertated as "biting", or an attack per se.

A world of difference in an excited nip, and a deliberated attack, being multiple bites & directed towards the head, upper body, throat, the arms used defensively generally taking the brunt.

But most people fail to be interested in the difference.

Which is a pity.

I am glad you kept it too,..dogs temperaments do change as they get older , hot weather is a major trigger, but tbh I am not the best company when I am hot and stressed.

I honestly don't believe any dog can be trusted with children regardless of breed, kids need training to be round dogs , not the other way round.

Collies are no different , although dogs that are trained to work will react differently to ones that are domesticated , collies trained to work cattle are encouraged to nip.

Ive seen 3-400 collies go through our hands over the years since a child, my Father was a dog "breaker" all his life til his death in his 80s , I started breaking them at 7 years old and can honestly say I do not remember one of them being aggressive towards humans, I have only ever been bitten once in anger and that was my own fault, I was plaguing an old dog in hot weather and he had enough of it, I was very young at the time and learnt from it.

Good luck Eggs. Pets are a hard deal at times. I had GSD's and they were brilliant, not faultless but they never meant harm to anyone. My daughter had her face bitten three times by a Lurched as a toddler and that made the decision easy, the owners should never have had that animal as a house pet!