When your own dog turns on you.

eggsarascal

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mate did that to a staffie that was locked on to a spaniels lug in a pub and it worked.

I didn't share my crisps with him afterwards mind.

Tough one Eggs, horrible situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Think it's safer not to use fingers.

Apparently it saved someone from a rottie during a lock-in at one of our old locals. Broom handle keeps a safe distance

The only thing I've found that worked was liquids. A bucket of water ideally but that's not always at hand. I've used a can of coke too. In a pub I chucked a pint over two warring factions. That worked also.

Sorry about the dog.

Eggs,

what was the temperature like?, we had a v placid American bulldog/pitbull, attack another dog, on a stinking stinking hot Sunday afternoon, this particular girl simply would NOT stay about, and always wandered off, after umpteen ph calls and friendly dog warden intervention, we were attempting to rehome her, she was away with a very dog-savvy woman on a try-out.

Despite zero human harm, she paid the ultimate price for her one outburst, which I could only attribute to the deadly heat that day.

We still got her photos plastered all over the fridge.

regards

m

Eggs, sorry to hear this, Had he ever attacked anyone before this?. I only mention it as from the face of your post- if I ever stepped between 2 fighting dogs I would expect (in their momement of excitedness) to get bitten by one of them, I probably wouldn't have the dog put down for this reason alone, but perhaps in your case there is more to the story?

We have a collie who has growled at our 1 year old daughter on a few occasions (always provoked when she might pull his fur or something). Its something that needs to be kept an eye on but hope it is not ever something that will ever manifest further than a growl.

Eggs, sorry to hear this, Had he ever attacked anyone before this?. I only mention it as from the face of your post- if I ever stepped between 2 fighting dogs I would expect (in their momement of excitedness) to get bitten by one of them, I probably wouldn't have the dog put down for this reason alone, but perhaps in your case there is more to the story?

We have a collie who has growled at our 1 year old daughter on a few occasions (always provoked when she might pull his fur or something). Its something that needs to be kept an eye on but hope it is not ever something that will ever manifest further than a growl.

We had a 3-4 year rescue collie that had been assessed by (national dog rescue organisation) as suitable for living with kids of any age. He was good as gold with the vets but very protective over food (fair enough). However after he'd nipped me and snapped at my 7 year-old daughter for no particular reason, at Christmas my nephew (also from a dog owning family) was giving him a stroke when the next thing we heard was a yelp, a scream and the dog had its jaws right around my nephew's forearm. That was enough of a warning signal for me, too much to risk with two young kids at home and their friends coming around occasionally. When we returned the dog to the rescue centre, they basically said it's not uncommon behaviour from collies although having grown up in a dairy / sheep farming community with a lot of working collies, I never remember one being a biting dog.

Sorry to hear your news, Eggs.

Sorry to hear about the dog Eggs, I've been through it myself but I hope the following may make you smile...

I used to have a border collie (Muttley) and when we came back from France he had to spend 6 months in quarantine which sent him a bit mad (this was before they relaxed quarantine). I think we had two kids at the time and my ex said that he was snapping at them, though I never saw it myself (working away most of the week), so she decided (and I acquiesced) that he needed to be put down so I ended up taking him to the vets...after they gave him the injection I asked if there was a rear exit but was told no, so had to come out through the waiting room with a dead dog in my arms and tears in my eyes. he had the last laugh though as he had a full bladder and managed to piss all over me before I buried him next to an oak tree that I'd planted for my father who'd died 6 months before. But this story concerns an earlier episode when we were living in France...

My ex and I were having a barny one day, a real stand up shouting match and the dog was jumping between us barking loudly and telling us to be quiet. At one point his bark and my body met and his lower incisors cut through my jeans, my underpants and left two puncture wounds in my scrotum. my ex collapsed onto the floor laughing (before offering sympathy and help) and the dog hearing my scream, then silence fled to the forest for the rest of the day. When finally able to move and examine myself in a mirror I decided I probably needed medical attention in case of infection (we only had the one child at the time and if I'd realised the cost of the next two I might have changed my mind...), so I ended up with my first trip to my local GP being because of bite wounds to my privates (why do they never teach you useful phrases in French O level such as " I've just been bitten in the balls by my dog - do i need a tetanus?" ). I hate to think what the local gossip was that week :) I still remember Muttley with fondness, the mountains we climbed (picture of dog, rucksack and summit cairn in mist to prove a Monroe) and sharing a two man tent with a wet collie :)