Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

7 minutes ago, breffni said:

Aye, but it doesn't say it came from Russia.  I used to know sources of extremely potent LSD but it didn't come from Albert Hoffman.

Edited by Mark J

8 minutes ago, Mark J said:

What I meant, was that if these peoples' homes get blown up through our military's actions, then it would be hypocritical to refuse them safe sanctuary in our own country.

Ah, understood! I thought you were suggesting the ABSCENCE of previous UK military action (resulting in current situation) placed an obligation upon us to accept displaced peoples. 

Eventhiugh I now understand more clearly, I’m afraid I still stand by the previous statement about displaced peoples - how they are displaced is rather a side issue. I might (only might) concede that there could be a moral obligation for post conflict transition, stabilisation and remediation however. That’s as good as you’ll get from me on that subject. 

8 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I hope that the solution will be found without recourse for missile strikes.  However, the government has a record of interventions without the express will of the people.  That makes them as bad as the 'enemy' in my eyes, and betrays the values we are supposed to uphold.

Without the fucking meddling of Russia and Iran, the Islamic State would be right where everyone said they would be.

Not entirely sure I subscribe to the apparent euphoric Pro Russian sentiment as appears to have appeared in relation to the “defeat” of IS in Syria.  

Im minded of that old Arab saying “the quickest way to make an enemy is to do a friend a favour” (or something like that...)

We’ve yet to fully appreciate Russia’s motive for creating influence in Syria. Not so much Iran, that’s a bit more obvious....

It's highly probable the chemical attack in Syria was a staged false flag incident designed to drive the US, UK and France etc into ousting Assad and replacing him with an Islamist government. 

The only people to verify the attack so far are the pro Islamist Syrian American Medical Society and the pro Islamist White Helmets. 

The US/UK attacking Russian or Russian backed Assad forces in Syria would be a grave error of judgement. 

Trump and May know this hence the backtracking, especially from Trump. 

• Like 4

Just now, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Ah, understood! I thought you were suggesting the ABSCENCE of previous UK military action (resulting in current situation) placed an obligation upon us to accept displaced peoples. 

Eventhiugh I now understand more clearly, I’m afraid I still stand by the previous statement about displaced peoples - how they are displaced is rather a side issue. I might (only might) concede that there could be a moral obligation for post conflict transition, stabilisation and remediation however. That’s as good as you’ll get from me on that subject. 

Not entirely sure I subscribe to the apparent euphoric Pro Russian sentiment as appears to have appeared in relation to the “defeat” of IS in Syria.  

Im minded of that old Arab saying “the quickest way to make an enemy is to do a friend a favour” (or something like that...)

We’ve yet to fully appreciate Russia’s motive for creating influence in Syria. Not so much Iran, that’s a bit more obvious....

Fair enough, I agree with you in that respect.

I wouldn't say I was pro Russia mind, Putin is about as bad as they come.  That's not to say I entirely trust any of the world leaders.

Russia do have a naval base in Syria, I'm not sure they have that many other outside the old Soviet Union though.  I imagine they'd want to protect their interests.

Indeed, 'know your enemy' has been bastardised throughout time.

42 minutes ago, Commando said:

Dubai’s oil pretty much ran out a decade ago, seem to be doing ok without it......

From what I've seen of Dubai its economy is basically:

1. Being a massive brothel for Saudi Arabians.

2. Being a tourist destination for Europeans.

It's obviously Dubai's ambitions to have a tourist based economy. However for 6 months of the year it's unbearably hot and there's really not much to do apart from shopping and pumping prostitutes.

Over the coming decades we can guess that:

1. There will be a terrorist attack in Dubai and expats and tourists will leave.

2. New aircraft will mean Brits can fly to Australia etc without having to stop and refuel in Dubai.

3. Dubai will run out of money and won't be able to  subsidise airlines.

4. Neighbouring countries will run out of oil (money) and they won't spend so much in Dubai.

Dubai hardly has a stable long term economy....

32 minutes ago, Mark J said:

No one voted for May remember.  She's only PM because Cameron the pig lover bailed out after the referendum result.

Yes but she’s still PM and PM’s should make the hard choices when needed. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

It's highly probable the chemical attack in Syria was a staged false flag incident designed to drive the US, UK and France etc into ousting Assad and replacing him with an Islamist government. 

The only people to verify the attack so far are the pro Islamist Syrian American Medical Society and the pro Islamist White Helmets. 

The US/UK attacking Russian or Russian backed Assad forces in Syria would be a grave error of judgement. 

Trump and May know this hence the backtracking, especially from Trump. 

You'd think they'd think it through rather than having to 'Backtrack'

13 minutes ago, WesD said:

Yes but she’s still PM and PM’s should make the hard choices when needed. 

Aye, but only if she gets the DUP's permission first.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1