Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

This is the problem.

You are assuming that the action he takes is going to be the right action. It also really, really matters how many, and who's noses he puts out of joint. Not to mention how many environmentally harmful initiatives he puts in place that are very difficult to reverse.

I totally agree with the sentiment that the political system needed to change, but it needs to change intelligently. Just going in shouting and shaking it up may be exciting, but it is stupid, selfish and grossly irresponsible and could easily have very dire consequences.

And yet... Obama had all the attributes that you seem to Be espousing, but look at the carnage that threatens the world now.

Syria..... he did nothing.
North Korea.... he did nothing
Iran..... he gave them $100s of billions plus a roadmap to being a nuclear power.

I could go on.....
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TIMON said:

And yet... Obama had all the attributes that you seem to Be espousing, but look at the carnage that threatens the world now.

Syria..... he did nothing.
North Korea.... he did nothing
Iran..... he gave them $100s of billions plus a roadmap to being a nuclear power.

I could go on.....

The trouble is we don't know that things would have turned out any better if he had of acted differently. 

You are assuming that Obama's actions or lack of action necessarily caused things to worsen. It may be that the situations could now be even worse had he not taken the course of action he did.

Sometimes doing nothing to interfere in extremely complex situations may be the best call. It is certainly the case that great care must be taken if intervention is deemed appropriate. Taking great care includes not compulsively mouthing off on twitter.

The trouble is we don't know that things would have turned out any better if he had of acted differently. 

You are assuming that Obama's actions or lack of action necessarily caused things to worsen. It may be that the situations could now be even worse had he not taken the course of action he did.

Sometimes doing nothing to interfere in extremely complex situations may be the best call. It is certainly the case that great care must be taken if intervention is deemed appropriate. Taking great care includes not compulsively mouthing off on twitter.

I definitely get the Twitter thing.
I’m surprised he’s allowed one to be honest... but then I wonder that maybe they are actually measured and scripted. they certainly get people’s attention. What a great tool in the hands of an accomplished operator. Especially if people take him for a mug. After all it is always best that your enemies underestimate you.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TIMON said:

I definitely get the Twitter thing.
I’m surprised he’s allowed one to be honest... but then I wonder that maybe they are actually measured and scripted. they certainly get people’s attention. What a great tool in the hands of an accomplished operator. Especially if people take him for a mug. After all it is always best that your enemies underestimate you.

I am itching to find a point of agreement with you Ti, but unfortunately I can't agree with the above either.

Surely it is better that your enemies over estimate you, making them less likely to attack in the first place? Attempting to convince your enemies that you are a buffoon is a reckless and bizzare strategy.

There are a significant number of people who are telling themselves that Trump's Twitter posts demonstrate utter brilliance, a man with a plan, a deep thinker who knows exactly what he is doing and has humanities best interests at heart. 

I can't see how they could possibly come to this conclusion, but I sincerely hope they're right.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

I am itching to find a point of agreement with you Ti, but unfortunately I can't agree with the above either.

Surely it is better that your enemies over estimate you, making them less likely to attack in the first place? Attempting to convince your enemies that you are a buffoon is a reckless and bizzare strategy.

There are a significant number of people who are telling themselves that Trump's Twitter posts demonstrate utter brilliance, a man with a plan, a deep thinker who knows exactly what he is doing and has humanities best interests at heart. 

I can't see how they could possibly come to this conclusion, but I sincerely hope they're right.

Can't see it doing much for any ally's confidence either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the village idiot said:

From what I understand, all media outlets are being accused of bias in one direction or the other. How can you be confident that you are not brainwashed by the media outlets you plug yourself into?

Maybe I can use the evidence of my own eyes to see who is telling me the truth?

Some countries are just "s" holes. I've been to some of them and I know others that have been to them. Yet when they are described as such the biased media get hysterical and say they are not.

If places like Pakistan and Somalia aren't "s" holes why do we give them aid money? 

The funny thing is, next week the BBC will be telling us Africa is a mess because of the white man and slavery  9_9