Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Is the nub of it Forest boy , the bullshit you see about the African countries , the Middle East and S. America in no - way reflects the true picture of those people . I stayed with a family in the desert in the Sinia and they believed the West thought them all terrorists because of CNN , they farmed olive trees and were the most kindly an respectful people you could ever meet - Trump would have been impeached 30 yrs ago - but not now with these Media moguls - they have a lot to answer for , K

• Like 3

I think it makes him a better person. And anyway I wouldn't consider those statement actual lies, more like bullshit throwaway comments. I can tell the difference between a calculated falsehood and bullshit. Im a bullshitter too, so it really doesn't bother me. I feel safer being able to see the humanity of the POTUS warts and all, unlike Obama who's every utterance was considered, leaving the real personality hidden. So in a way, Trump is less of a lier than most politicians, in that he doesn't lie about his own motives.

• Like 2

There is a very, very big difference between you and I and the POTUS.

Really? You sure about that?

He’s just a man the same as us, imperfect, flawed and prone to shooting his mouth off.

Obama was just better at hiding it. Like a lot of politicians are. Whether you like what he says or not, at least Trump speaks from the heart. Obama by contrast was just a people pleaser. His foreign policies (imho) amounted at best to a dereliction of duty, at worst, he had an altogether more sinister agenda. Look at the trouble his procrastination has caused the world when it comes to Iran and North Korea.

3 minutes ago, TIMON said:

There is a very, very big difference between you and I and the POTUS.

Really? You sure about that?
He’s just a man the same as us, imperfect, flawed and prone to shooting his mouth off.

I meant in terms of the positions we hold. Our behaviour needs to be sympathetic to our situation.

5 minutes ago, TIMON said:

Obama was just better at hiding it. Like a lot of politicians are. Whether you like what he says or not, at least he speaks from the heart. Obama by contrast was just a people pleaser. His foreign policies (imho) amounted at best to a dereliction of duty, at worst, he had an altogether more sinister agenda. Look at the trouble his procrastination has caused the world when it comes to Iran and North Korea.

I don't think Obama was perfect either, but what he did realise is that these sociopolitical situations are fantastically complex and delicately balanced. You can't just charge in and 'fix them'.

It would be nice to think that the world is simple and that there are simple solutions to all the problems, unfortunately this just isn't the case. Believing and acting as though it is is naive and dangerous.

• Like 1

I don't think Obama was perfect either, but what he did realise is that these sociopolitical situations are fantastically complex and delicately balanced. You can't just charge in and 'fix them'.

It would be nice to think that the world is simple and that there are simple solutions to all the problems, unfortunately this just isn't the case. Believing and acting as though it is is naive and dangerous.

I would disagree with this. So would Churchill, Nelson, Wellington and co I suspect.
Knowing how to pick the the right fight and the methods of tactics and strategy are another thing altogether, so I would (maybe) concur on that one.

The problem here is that Trump has got 8 years of Obama’s people pleasing, negligence and cowardice to try and sort out. Not an enviable task, given the stakes involved.

His administration also has the Job of dismantling The Hezbollah narcotics infrastructure in the US. Another of Obama’s wonderful legacies.

1 hour ago, the village idiot said:

There is also the fact that Trump's branding of these countries is not a truth claim. It is a blanket opinion that makes no sense when you break things down to specifics.

Ahhh, so places like Haiti and Somalia are really nice places to live? How about YOU being truthful and admiting that many places are *sugar*holes.

1 hour ago, the village idiot said:

You also (rightly in my opinion) consider that telling the truth is important for society. Why does it not worry you that Trump is a proven compulsive liar? Many Trump supporters seem to think that this is OK, or even that it somehow makes him an even better person. This is crazy when you consider how much power he has. People are being swept along by the show and are not stopping to think. It is terrifying.

Tbh, I think Trump is the most honest politician in modern times..... It's becoming increasingly clear that mainstream politicians have been lying to us for decades. The reason the BBC etc hate Trump is that he tells the truth.

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Is the nub of it Forest boy , the bullshit you see about the African countries , the Middle East and S. America in no - way reflects the true picture of those people . I stayed with a family in the desert in the Sinia and they believed the West thought them all terrorists because of CNN , they farmed olive trees and were the most kindly an respectful people you could ever meet - Trump would have been impeached 30 yrs ago - but not now with these Media moguls - they have a lot to answer for , K

Really? I don't think there are many Westerners that think people in the Sinai are all terrorists... However it's fair to say that there is a terrorist problem in the Sinai.

It's also interesting that we're not meant to judge muslims because of a few terrorists. However we're meant to think Muslims are ok because you stayed with a nice family. Do you work with the BBC? Maybe you have the job of finding the obvious Muslim looking doctor to interview after a terrorist attack?

9 minutes ago, matelot said:

Tbh, I think Trump is the most honest politician in modern times..... It's becoming increasingly clear that mainstream politicians have been lying to us for decades. The reason the BBC etc hate Trump is that he tells the truth.

There is absolutely no question that Trump lies. You could be impossibly kind to him and say that maybe he believes everything he says to be true, and he just hasn't absorbed the relevant factual information. Either interpretation is a recipe for disaster.

Apparently all briefing documents submitted for Trump's attention have to be kept extremely short, and the authors have to periodically insert the words 'President Trump' in order to keep his attention focussed till the end of the document. 

Admittedly this is only anecdotal, but I can quite believe that it is true.

16 minutes ago, matelot said:

Trump is the master of doing what Ti accuses Obama of having done. Trump says things which he knows will please his support base. He doesn't care whether they are factually correct or not. His supporters like what he says and so label it as true. It fits with the narrative of the world that they have created in their heads.

• Like 1