Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Spain is not Britain...their civil war was fought within living memory (just about). I pity the Catalans and their obvious desire for independence....but I also get the Spanish desire for National unity. Spain is not in a good place economically - they have sold their souls to a Federal Europe...there's no going back now for them. Catalonia produces 25% of Spain's GDP...no wonder the Goverment is doing everything it can to maintain National unity...without them Spain would undoubtedly collapse.

Edited by arbogrunt
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2017 at 08:29, skyhuck said:

:confused1: Still confused, so you think the Scottish referendum was wrong?

I'm the product of Anglo-Scottish liaison...my Dad was from Kilmarnock!. I'm glad that Scots voted to remain in the Union, but somewhat disappointed  they voted to stay in the EU.

In answer to the question, if the Scots wanted Independence, they would of voted for it. Scotland would be another poor EU Nation if they broke away from the UK (in my opinion). The Catalans are different. They would probably be better off, they are 16% of Spains population contributing 25% of the Nations GDP.

Breaking Sovereign European nations into Independent regions is not the way forward economically, even if its what the people in those regions desire. 

Spain would break up if the Catalans left...no doubt the Basques are thinking of kicking off again already. 

I'm glad the Scots voted in a referendum and I'm glad we got the chance to vote to stay or leave the EU. The results of both referendums should be respected by all, they were supported by British Constitutional  rights. The Catalan vote is outside of the Spanish Constitution and is not respected by the Spanish Government, or the majority of the Spanish people. Its a tricky one.

• Like 3

Hang on there....

What happened to: 

"...We've all been sat in the middle of the dead tops looking 20' to each side at the regrowth wanting to plunge a topper into our heart and end it all...."

Have you been going out the house all kitted up, spent the day in the pub, then grabbed some random hedgerow greenery to stuff down your shirt before you get home......???  

Just seen this Kevin.
That has happened back in the day!

You couldn't make it up.

But it does go to show how a little act of tomfoolery can escalate. From the report I read earlier he's lucky to be alive, due both the CPR administered by his friends and the very rapid arrival of the paramedics.

Sounds like the CODWOOD have killed him if he hadn’t sprat it out....