Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

It does make you wonder about terrorism.

Does not look good at all, Horrible thing and best wishes to all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

No it doen't make me think about terrorism.

It makes me think about this:

From a mate who lives in a block of flats with her kid:

I live on the 14th floor of a tower block and I've been bitching about the fire safety for the past 6 years. I've lived here 16 years. When I first moved here we had an on site concierge. If your fire alarm went off they would ring your flat and if you didn't answer they'd call the fire brigade. All very efficient and SAFE. Six years ago the blocks got covered in the same cladding on those blocks in London. At the same time cuts (or streamlining the system they call it!) meant the concierge was removed. Now every time someone burns thier toast the whole of block alarm goes off and 3 fire engines turn up. Not only is this a huge waste of resources, it happens so often that the majority of people who live here don't bother to evacuate any more. One day, there could be a real fire and because of this bullshit system, people will think it's one of the often 3 times a week false alarms and stay inside. There must be blocks full of families all over the country living in just as dangerous homes, but hey, at least they ******* look nice with thier fancy cladding, eh?

And it makes me think about this:

https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/874979320518905858/photo/1?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=frankieboyle&utm_content=874979320518905858

And it makes me angry thinking about the whole horrid, preventable thing.

No it doen't make me think about terrorism.

It makes me think about this:

From a mate who lives in a block of flats with her kid:

I live on the 14th floor of a tower block and I've been bitching about the fire safety for the past 6 years. I've lived here 16 years. When I first moved here we had an on site concierge. If your fire alarm went off they would ring your flat and if you didn't answer they'd call the fire brigade. All very efficient and SAFE. Six years ago the blocks got covered in the same cladding on those blocks in London. At the same time cuts (or streamlining the system they call it!) meant the concierge was removed. Now every time someone burns thier toast the whole of block alarm goes off and 3 fire engines turn up. Not only is this a huge waste of resources, it happens so often that the majority of people who live here don't bother to evacuate any more. One day, there could be a real fire and because of this bullshit system, people will think it's one of the often 3 times a week false alarms and stay inside. There must be blocks full of families all over the country living in just as dangerous homes, but hey, at least they ******* look nice with thier fancy cladding, eh?

And it makes me think about this:

https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/874979320518905858/photo/1?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=frankieboyle&utm_content=874979320518905858

And it makes me angry thinking about the whole horrid, preventable thing.

The main reason I thought about terrorism is that I turned the news on this morning to see a burning tower in London. Unfortunately in these times we live in that was the first thought.

The main reason I thought about terrorism is that I turned the news on this morning to see a burning tower in London. Unfortunately in these times we live in that was the first thought.

That's understandable Richard 1234.

Thing is Mark, staying put is the correct thing to do in a tower block. People in this building where ringing 999 and being advised to stay in their flat and put towels at the bottom of doors.

Apparently they are designed to compartmentalise the fire, so it does not spread. The fire service should fight the fire from inside the building.

Someone has really cocked up here with the refurb:thumbdown:

Thing is Mark, staying put is the correct thing to do in a tower block. People in this building where ringing 999 and being advised to stay in their flat and put towels at the bottom of doors.

Apparently they are designed to compartmentalise the fire, so it does not spread. The fire service should fight the fire from inside the building.

Someone has really cocked up here with the refurb:thumbdown:

Yes I a bit confused with how it's spread as surely the construction as you said are concrete cubes. The passageways are bare so very little to burn and spread through the building. Yes I can understand the outside cladding spreading the fire being fuelled by the wind but surely the smoke would remain outside

Yes I a bit confused with how it's spread as surely the construction as you said are concrete cubes. The passageways are bare so very little to burn and spread through the building. Yes I can understand the outside cladding spreading the fire being fuelled by the wind but surely the smoke would remain outside

Some serious questions and investigations are needed here. I'd guess the source of the cladding might not be as described as supposed to be fire proof. Cheap stuff used instead to save a few quid?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app