Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Just now, Big J said:

The study references people from outside the EU. 

The irony for the UK being that prior to Brexit, most immigrants were from within the EU and therefor culturally pretty close. Post-Brexit, the loss of freedom of movement has meant that in order to fill vacancies, it has been necessary to recruit from further afield. 

But I take you point, and do obviously accept that integrating other Europeans is easier.

Not during the time period of that article you posted J.

The stats quoted are almost 14 years old and now immigrants come from largely a very different background.

Imagine quoting stats from 14 years before the time frame of the article.Say 1986 to 2000 when England was actually quite difficult to immigrate to.That snapshot I would expect would have exponentially higher levels of productivity and integration than let's say 2010 to 2024.

A better picture IMHO would be a 40 year study which would better represent the level of productivity over an adult immigrants entire working life

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Not during the time period of that article you posted J.

The stats quoted are almost 14 years old and now immigrants come from largely a very different background.

Imagine quoting stats from 14 years before the time frame of the article.Say 1986 to 2000 when England was actually quite difficult to immigrate to.That snapshot I would expect would have exponentially higher levels of productivity and integration than let's say 2010 to 2024.

A better picture IMHO would be a 40 year study which would better represent the level of productivity over an adult immigrants entire working life

But their backgrounds aren't very different from the post-war period though. 

A fundamental problem for all developed economies is the fertility crisis. People are not having enough children, and if we're hoping to have any kind of quality of life in our retirements, we need younger people.

The most extreme example of this is South Korea, which has a fertility rate of less than 0.7 (kids per couple. 2.1 is replacement rate). Their population is forecast to half by 2100.

the UCL study didn't focus on just asylum seekers and refugees, not saying they aren't capable of a day's work, but those coming in illegally are likely to avail themselves of council houses and all benefits going for years on end (my best guess. August.2024)

Many areas don't even have an NHS dentist for miles and the government spending billions on hotels for migrants

ICAI.INDEPENDENT.GOV.UK

Aid spending on asylum seekers and refugees in the UK rose to £4.3bn in 2023, constituting 28% of the aid budget, as ICAI continues to raise concerns around value for money. Negative...

7 hours ago, Big J said:

A fundamental problem for all developed economies is the fertility crisis. People are not having enough children, and if we're hoping to have any kind of quality of life in our retirements, we need younger people.

The most extreme example of this is South Korea, which has a fertility rate of less than 0.7 (kids per couple. 2.1 is replacement rate). Their population is forecast to half by 2100.

when you look at the graph of world population it has quadrupled since WW1, so how can all these new consumers not be putting a strain on fresh water supplies etc? No wonder the Amazon is being cut down to grow crops.

I'm trying hard to save to fund my own retirement, as state pension getting further away, couldn't care less about availability of a care home or whatever, an overdose would do me. Actually no, about the overdose, they might have a good music night

Edited by tree-fancier123

12 minutes ago, Big J said:

But their backgrounds aren't very different from the post-war period though. 

You have lost me.

I was attempting to separate the various decades or relative time periods ie.     1986-2000/ 2000 to 2011/ 2011 to 2024 and question whether more stringent immigration requirements resulted in better productivity amongst immigrants. 

As you know immigration takes various forms so without knowing exactly on what grounds your study based the term " immigration " it's impossible to form a picture but let's try anyhow.

I venture that the study focused on immigration for work purposes,by which the immigrant would have needed a job offer. That way they would have been contributing from day one,they might have gone on to start their own firm,hired more immigrants and the stats begin to flourish. 

Conversely if we focused on family immigration then there might well be a high number of non contributors as some ethnicities sponsor family members solely as live in child carers and unpaid cleaners.

Stats can be used in many misleading forms.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2024 at 07:48, Johnsond said:

Morning Mancock 

Half asleep are we 😂😂

driven asleep by your idiotic ramblings, and sickened by your fixation with my genitals and their manly size, as you keep pointing out, man-sized cock.

as opposed to you tiny little nubbin.

you keep my cock out of your mind, and ill keep it out of your wife, ok? 

3 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

One of my customers is a retired Egyptian surgeon - did maybe 30 years here in the NHS, clever bloke, but his skin color lets him down

statements like that make me wonder what youd look like with a knife sticking in your leg.

question, if white is the correct colour for skin, why do so many in the uk go to such great lengths to make their white skin go brown?

7 hours ago, manco said:

statements like that make me wonder what youd look like with a knife sticking in your leg

or how much noise I would make - scream like a woman

some integrate fine, some don't. As far as the gene pool goes I honestly couldn't care less, as long as they aren't asthmatic like me - a condition that needs selective breeding to get rid of

pic - one of the small minority of trouble makers, doesn't mean they are all bad !

Abu-Hamza--009.webp.ee0ca9b9a36ddfc667bdfe31be1b1e9b.webp

I’m convinced the bloke with a hook for a hand is an actor. It’s like the film Rat Race where bored rich blokes bet on increasingly ridiculous things just to see what they can get away with. 

“Let’s make him an absolute pantomime villain.”

”Give him an eyepatch and a hook for a hand.”

”loloololloll. Nobody will go for that surely.”

”hahahaha. Let’s just bally do it.”

1 hour ago, manco said:

driven asleep by your idiotic ramblings, and sickened by your fixation with my genitals and their manly size, as you keep pointing out, man-sized cock.

as opposed to you tiny little nubbin.

you keep my cock out of your mind, and ill keep it out of your wife, ok? 

Things were ticking along rather nicely there. In all seriousness “ how old are you” I get more maturity out of my two youngest than you, there’s an excuse for them being 15.