Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It’s starting to look like Elon Musk’s purchase of Twitter could be one of the greatest acts of hubris, the biggest loss of money and bringer of some of the biggest laughs of all time.

Why's that?

I used to follow Frankie Boyle on Twitter but he's gone over to Instagrammy now which I've not tried.

Twitter will get its advertising back wont it?

Someone tell me why de-bluebirding the celebs should matter?

6 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

Am I reading it right that now he couldn't take it down even if he wanted to due to structural issues or a need to repair the property?

I'm sure a pathetic few in the planning offices had a chuckle about that. Creating a burden on the current owner isn't it? I doubt it was built to last this long!

But it's still there. That's the point I was making. In some ways thats a victory in itself for the guy who installed it. I wasn't aware it had been listed.

also shows how weak the planners actually are. They obviously failed in any way to actually remove it. just managed to shuffle some paper furiously and get paid every month until one of them eventually had an idea which meant they could claim the upper hand, after all, that's all they are about. Control. Control of how you live, where you live and how much it costs you to live there.

Obviously some level of control is required to stop unsuitable developments or absurdly oversized private dwellings, but there is scope for fundamental change for the better and to bring it back to the tree house, I prefer to see things like that without permission than another block of crappy boxes with it. 

A customer was telling me a while ago that woodlands.co.uk sold some amenity woodland off in strips about 20 meters wide and 500 meters long down in south Wiltshire. Apparently thats their business model - buy in bulk and sell off in piecemeal!

Each "allotment" had one or two veterans, a few hazel coppice and the rest was rubbishy scrub. Apparently one keen new woodland owner carried in a 5ftx4ft garden shed up into his bit, panel by panel, so he could keep his tools in the dry and and have a place out of the wind and rain for a cuppa. You know the kind of thing. Anyway, his neighbours weren't having it. Someone reported him and he had to dismantle his shed and take it away.

Some of us english do like rules is rules!🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It’s starting to look like Elon Musk’s purchase of Twitter could be one of the greatest acts of hubris, the biggest loss of money and bringer of some of the biggest laughs of all time.

It's like pulling numbers out of thin air, where is the actual value in twitter? Data? Ability to influence or manipulate? It's certainly not in anything tangible or in advertising. 

It would only be a good thing for humanity if it collapsed under the weight of its own hypocritical bullshit. So is it all the better if we can have a chuckle at the owner wasting a sum of money sufficient to literally end world poverty as a sideshow to an already rapidly declining society. Is this what counts for comedy now? Jaysus, just as well George Carlin died when he did.

12 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

It's like pulling numbers out of thin air, where is the actual value in twitter? Data? Ability to influence or manipulate? It's certainly not in anything tangible or in advertising. 

It would only be a good thing for humanity if it collapsed under the weight of its own hypocritical bullshit. So is it all the better if we can have a chuckle at the owner wasting a sum of money sufficient to literally end world poverty as a sideshow to an already rapidly declining society. Is this what counts for comedy now? Jaysus, just as well George Carlin died when he did.

Precisely, it could be the MySpace of the 2020s.

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:

7K a month on benefits  🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️No wonder people won’t bother working. Pure insanity. 

Just read the article. You have to wonder what social services were doing not to get involved earlier. 

And how on earth do you qualify for that amount of benefits? I can only assume rent gets paid on a large property because of the kids and that's what bumps the figure up.

Poor bloody kids. And dogs.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Precisely, it could be the MySpace of the 2020s.

Aaaahhhh, MySpace.

I still get a disproportionate amount of pleasure by singing along  loudly to Clean Bandit’s ‘Tick tock’ but substituting each tick tock in the chorus  for a MySpace.

Kids these days, so easily baffled.