Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

39 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Au contraire Mr D!

The error was in the incessant EU expansionism which is the real reason and which has brought us inexorably to the current Russian invasion of Ukraine.

I rather doubt any sensible observer of world events would deny the benefit of the original EEC concept.  

The EU however has been the architect of its own demise - the UK being bold enough to take the first step in the divorce, set the standard for others to follow and get ahead of the inevitable breakdown which will likely make the current relatively minor hiccups of leaving the EU pale into insignificance.  

No, not yet, no regrets.  

Yes as the little lady said Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien

The whole thing was a cock up from the start and I expected an impact on our financial sector but abstained as I am not young enough to suffer the consequences and didn't anticipate it getting this bad but a lot of that is to do with covid and the government trying to spend our way out of it, and failing.

I consider the management of our larger companies, hijacked by their global shareholders' demands rather than sustainability, to be the major reason  our industries have failed.

Of course my trade was a part of this demise as traditional sawmills closed and all those little niche timber outlets were lost till  we were left with good structural logs going into biomass rather than value added products.

• Like 1

@kevinjohnsonmbe
You got nothing have you? (not even an understanding of the word tangible😀)

You hang your coat on some distant imaginary event that you hope will happen just to avoid facing what right in front of your nose.

I was wrong about Brexit, I see that now. One day you will I’m sure

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

And were you happy to pee away money on more federal expansion, waste and gravy trains!.

Which was something we could do absolutely nothing about stopping, halting or even reducing?.

All empires fall, when they do they all return to running they're own country. The Romans learned, the French learned, the Germans learned, the Dutch learned, Scandinavia learned, the Russians learned and so did we. Some forgot a little too quickly 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GarethM said:

And were you happy to pee away money on more federal expansion, waste and gravy trains!.

Which was something we could do absolutely nothing about stopping, halting or even reducing?.

The EU don't have a monopoly on that, look how good 'our lot' are at doing it too

Very true, but we can atleast in some way not elect them. I know very unlikely, but it's South park all over again, choosing between a turd sandwich and a douche.

But at the moment it's the same all over the world, woke WEF weirdos.

All pushing the same agenda and rubbing out noses in it.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Very rare these days a genuine question 🤣 This thread is just comical side show gone.

Someone with a much greater knowledge of such things than I, recently told me that the very concept of the "internet forum" is very much in decline due to the increasing use of other forms of (un?)social media.

That being the case, what we have here is very much worth looking after and maybe even worth making a wee bit of effort to sustain.

Without such, there is a danger that your statement simply becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Which would be a great pity.

Personally, I wouldn't like what's here not to be here.

*edit* - warts and all!

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

You got nothing have you?

I’m just gonna flip that for ya Mick. 

You come round ‘ere moaning about how siht Brexit is because the pound bombed against the dollar and when I pointed out the same is true of the Yen and the Euro you want ME to tell you what’s good about Brexit. 

Well I still hold by my original preference for Brexit, what changed YOUR mind?

• Like 1

I don’t say it was shit because of the pound dollar situation, I just pointed it out as a factor.

But, fair question.

The reality of the loss of freedom of movement and working for Brits in Europe.

More difficult for UK businesses to trade in Europe.

No stopping of illegal immigration since.

NHS even worse than before.

Promised trade deals with the US not materialising.

The possibility of the UK breaking up.

Jacob Rees Mog.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2