Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

It's rapidly heading towards the situation where there will be so many exemptions and exceptions to the immigration rules for shortage workers, that the UK might as well have freedom of movement. It will be freedom of movement in all but name, but strictly in one direction. 

What Brexit has done is effectively close the door on 27 different nations to the young of Britain. 

We are here in Sweden on my German passport. Given our modest financial position and my determination to continue being self employed, this is the only way that we're here. My wife (having only a British passport) has no right to live and work here except as my spouse. 

It's absolutely insane that this situation is still being defended. Doubly so given that the powers that be in the UK know that the population is effectively trapped and more and more policies are pushed through that target benefit at the rich whilst removing basic rights from the less wealthy.

As others have said, being on the outside looking in gives a fresh perspective. Brexit is a mortal self-inflicted wound on Britain.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Sutton said:

French politics is not a pantomine like the UK. But then, I don't subscribe to the 5th Republic and haven't had a passport in over 25 years. Local issues are all that matter. Family, friends, landscape, culture. What can lowly citizens do about the Ukraine, currency traders, corporate greed and tax avoidance?

I really don't understand that perspective at all. 

It's only through seeing a variety of cultures, meeting a variety of people can one ever develop a broader understanding of (to some degree) and empathy for other people. 

I really feel that this would be no bad thing for everyone to aspire to. 

Our village here in Sweden is a real melting pot of people from all around the world. We're dog sitting for an Austrian/Indian couple over winter. I've been at the table tennis club this evening with my girls. Some of the kids were Syrian. I was chatting to a mum whose daughter was at the same gym class as my daughter. She's Swedish, but they lived in Dallas (he's American). On the way back from table tennis I picked up two massive bags of apples from a neighbour. He's Croatian, but used to live in London. I had tea and we waffled on a bit. My forestry business here is in partnership with a German friend. The list goes on...

My point is that diversity of culture and experience makes life truly interesting. You don't have to travel the world, but to say that only local issues matter seems rather like burying your head in the sand.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

I really don't understand that perspective at all. 

It's only through seeing a variety of cultures, meeting a variety of people can one ever develop a broader understanding of (to some degree) and empathy for other people. 

I really feel that this would be no bad thing for everyone to aspire to. 

Our village here in Sweden is a real melting pot of people from all around the world. We're dog sitting for an Austrian/Indian couple over winter. I've been at the table tennis club this evening with my girls. Some of the kids were Syrian. I was chatting to a mum whose daughter was at the same gym class as my daughter. She's Swedish, but they lived in Dallas (he's American). On the way back from table tennis I picked up two massive bags of apples from a neighbour. He's Croatian, but used to live in London. I had tea and we waffled on a bit. My forestry business here is in partnership with a German friend. The list goes on...

My point is that diversity of culture and experience makes life truly interesting. You don't have to travel the world, but to say that only local issues matter seems rather like burying your head in the sand.

For a young family with an EU outlook agreed. In my youth we travelled round the EU many times and the US for 6 months. For the last six years we've had or teenage grand daughter living us so being on the edge of a vibrant but lowkey city is important. It  doesn't mean we're dead to difference and variety. You wait till you get into late middle age 🤣

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Sutton said:

Come and get it? Bring your family, make a week of it, spend some hard earned Euros here in good old Blighty 🤣

That isn’t possible post Brexit without reems of documentation/import duty paperwork, a total ball ache.

When I contacted Greenmech to import a refurbed Evo they basically said it would be simpler and easier to just buy one in France. 

9 hours ago, Sutton said:

Brexit is fait accomplis. I'm personally only interested in local politics (and non-corporate international economics) but was curious why you expats are bringing it up again, that's all.

Seeing this laughable slice of fan fiction posted up.

The image of Britain sailing off into sunnier climes and calmer waters.

0146B018-176C-4236-BF3C-476FF9D2EEC2.png

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

I would suggest that possibly the main reason that Brexit is struggling to fulfil it's potential is because it hasn't actually happened.

Our either inept, or ulterior motivated, politicians, have succeeded in dragging us in to a sort of weird political "no-mans-land" where we have kinda left the EU, but not really, yet we have certainly failed so far to rejoin the rest of the world.

But then that was always the big catch 22 afflicting the "remain" campaign, they're biggest selling point would have been to come out and tell us what a complete world of shit we'd be getting ourselves in to by trying to leave the EU, yet to do so would also have been an admission of the degree to which our lives have been taken over by them. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I don’t say it was shit because of the pound dollar situation, I just pointed it out as a factor.

But, fair question.

The reality of the loss of freedom of movement and working for Brits in Europe.

More difficult for UK businesses to trade in Europe.

No stopping of illegal immigration since.

NHS even worse than before.

Promised trade deals with the US not materialising.

The possibility of the UK breaking up.

Jacob Rees Mog.

You can't say I've got nothing and then come back with less than nothing...

It just illustrates how weak and futile your justification case is.

OK, so there is some loss of freedom of movement - how many people does that effect exactly?  I get that you feel it more than most but for the vast, overwhelming majority it is completely unnoticeable.

UK business difficulty trading in Europe - yup, OK, but with less restrictive EU barriers for worldwide trade right so again - how many businesses does that actually effect?  Does it effect imports from the Far East? No.  The (relatively) few businesses that are adversely effected are always then s that are interviewed and make the most noise.  Nobody ever asked me how if has effected my business - I wish they would.  It HASN'T but that's not what is being projected.

Illegal immigration is not an EU issue.  It happened whilst within the EU and it is happening outside of the EU.  

NHS staffing may be impacted, to a degree, by Brexit but to a larger degree by Covid.  

In fact, f*ck it, I can't be bothered with it....  Whatever. 

• Like 1