Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

3 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Au contraire Mr D!

The error was in the incessant EU expansionism which is the real reason and which has brought us inexorably to the current Russian invasion of Ukraine.

I rather doubt any sensible observer of world events would deny the benefit of the original EEC concept.  

The EU however has been the architect of its own demise - the UK being bold enough to take the first step in the divorce, set the standard for others to follow and get ahead of the inevitable breakdown which will likely make the current relatively minor hiccups of leaving the EU pale into insignificance.  

No, not yet, no regrets.  

I wonder if you’ll feel the same when Scotland leaves the UK and Northern Ireland.

I see the pound has hit a new low against the dollar.

Hows that UK/US trade deal coming along?

How many people have crossed the channel in little boats this year 20/30 thousand? Getting our borders back are we?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I wonder if you’ll feel the same when Scotland leaves the UK and Northern Ireland.

How many people have crossed the channel in little boats this year 20/30 thousand? Getting our borders back are we?

I have very mixed feelings about Scotland viz a viz UK.  I worked there for long enough to form a fairly well informed opinion.   Forgot to pick up the NI point.  I think I saw somewhere that the demographic balance has, for the first time (recently at least 😁) tipped in favour of the potential for a republican vote to succeed.  There is a part of me that would be interested to see how the government in the South would manage the inevitable 'troubles' that would follow and I wonder if the (what's left of it) UK government would have passive support for unionist minority freedom fighters?  

Yes, the UK £, the ¥and indeed the € - all being humped at an all time record by the $.  Must be Brexit...

UK/US trade deal, have to give you that one, is it better or worse than before Brexit though?  And what about that $ humping the £?

C*nts crossing the channel is on about the same trajectory as it would have been in or out of the EU and is only going to get worse until somebody either removes international borders and allows proper freedom of movement or has the kahoonas to enforce that which is currently enacted in law.

I don't think any of your examples are exclusively, or even predominantly, aligned with Brexit although the naysayers do tend to trot them out as 'evidence' of the error of Brexit.

Nope - still not buying it.

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

They won't have it.

2 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I have very mixed feelings about Scotland viz a viz UK.  I worked there for long enough to form a fairly well informed opinion.  

Yes, the UK £, the ¥and indeed the € - all being humped at an all time record by the $.  Must be Brexit...

UK/US trade deal, have to give you that one, is it better or worse than before Brexit though?  And what about that $ humping the £?

C*nts crossing the channel is on about the same trajectory as it would have been in or out of the EU and is only going to get worse until somebody either removes international borders and allows proper freedom of movement or has the kahoonas to enforce that which is currently enacted in law.

I don't think any of your examples are exclusively, or even predominantly, aligned with Brexit although the naysayers do tend to trot them out as 'evidence' of the error of Brexit.

Nope - still not buying it.

So what tangible benefits have you seen?