Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Isn't the current increase in homelessness directly linked to goverment failure with regards to affordable housing. Also alot of the benifit payments now go to millionaire slum landlords, as council houses were sold off. Also most benefits go help the working poor nor the unemployed as minimum wage is too low too  afford a place to live....

Rise in homeless

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41241021

Working poor:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/dec/04/four-million-british-workers-live-in-poverty-charity-says

Or if your a tory its beacuse there all feckless workshy drug addicts who get what they deserve. ?

12 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Money is of corse illusory, its pretty much a religion, which only works if enough people keep the faith, but its  incredibly useful.

Barter is great if you and the other party both have what each other need and they are both of equal value, but thats rarely going to be the case, plus its real tricky to save with barter.

I just wrote nearly the same post, but it wasn’t as good. 

• Thanks 1

I would counter-argue that a lot of the shortage of housing is due to benefit cheats, i.e. those who claim to be living apart, to double(or maximize) their benefit income, in the case of married couples,

or daughters getting pregnant to blag a free home, and extra benefits, while still living at home.

And the shocking number of divorced couples, requiring 2 dwellings instead of 1.

Never mind the trashed/burned/wrecked houses due to substance abuse and downright wanton spiteful badness.

Never mind the unpaid rents and disproportinately high repair bills (like 2 new kitchens inside of 9 months, the first being sold for cash by the tenant)  in the private sector.

And I could take you to local examples if you wish.

How can any reasonable society provide for these "needs" ?

It is a bottomless pit.

8 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Surely that isn't true.

I believe it is.

There is only ever a finite amount of anything (except maybe love ?) the more of us there are the harder it is to get stuff. People go on about immigrants increasing GDP, sure but a bigger pie is no good if you get a smaller piece of said pie.

Business wants as much cheap labour as they can get, landlords don't care if people live 20 to a house if it lines their pocket.

• Like 1