Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

3 minutes ago, Chessa said:

IMO the villain of the piece is Poverty itself.

I have been homeless myself. Not proud of it. Nomadic is easier.

Just as with any toxic personal relationship (in this case - a relationship of individuals within a society) : it is futile to declare the persecutor, the victim and the rescuer for the purposes of healing.

These books are good to read for food for thought at least:

Poverty Safari - Darren Mc Garvey

The New Poverty - Stephen Armstrong

Utopia for Realists - Rutger Bregman

Heroin has nothing to do with it?

• Like 2

IMO the villain of the piece is Poverty itself.

I have been homeless myself. Not proud of it. Nomadic is easier.

Just as with any toxic personal relationship (in this case - a relationship of individuals within a society) : it is futile to declare the persecutor, the victim and the rescuer for the purposes of healing.

These books are good to read for food for thought at least:

Poverty Safari - Darren Mc Garvey
The New Poverty - Stephen Armstrong
Utopia for Realists - Rutger Bregman

You read too much Chessa [emoji15] i couldnt take it all in, i’d get all my words in a mucking fuddle ?. Not to argue against anyones hardships or misfortunes, as i’ve been lucky in life as of yet. I’m not sure in this case it could be just specifically blamed on poverty?
Timon did explain that the girl had a child that stayed with her mother (childs grandmother) and he had witnessed her coming to the scene and approaching her, begging her to come back home for xmas etc, that would suggest that financially she could have been supported? Do you think she could have been ill (mentally) causing her to end up doing what she did on the streets?

7 minutes ago, Chessa said:

Addictions to heroin, drink, violent crime, prostitution or any other self-harm with a domino effect of harm upon others (and from others too) is the tragic domino effect of declining health and debilitating poverty: and a desperate response to extreme trauma - in these cases:- I think.

Horse shit, I’ve seen what heroin can do to middle class kids in comfortable villages in affluent West Sussex.

Not mentally ill, not poor, just thrill seeking youngsters, lives ruined.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pretty sure there is no cure for some level of poverty, the avoidance of it is the motivating factor for virtually all human advancement.

Even Jesus allegedly said we would always have the poor.

All the ideological movements aimed at elevating poverty, Marxism, Maoism, etc led to mass murder of unimaginable scale.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For whatever reason,  I was thinking of the plight of the homeless this winter, perhaps triggered by an account from our son, describing a bloke staggering about in the busy street outside the shop he works in.

I could not help suggesting that the bloke was looking to blag a spot in a hospital bed for over the Christmas period.

That and the charity who booked a 1 night stay in a hotel for a group of homeless, I can only presume  under some pretext/cover story, only to have the booking cancelled by the hotel, presumably when they found out it was for the homeless.

The Hilton group then stepped in.

I did wonder why this charity, or its staff, did not perhaps put the homeless up in their own homes, for Christmas?

Perhaps they do, but it was not mentioned, and the cynic in me doubts it anyway.

However, all that aside, how do you help those who will not be helped, or cannot be trusted to look after, or are incapable of  looking after(their) accommodation, bedding and utensils.

For whatever mental health/substance abuse issue(s)

Money, or relative poverty is the smallest part of their problem(s), simply because no amount of cold hard cash can fix their lives.

And paying people to do so, only, mostly, creates more jobsworths, middle management and overpaid Executivies.

Whether such organisations are run Government, Council or Charity, no bloody odds.  

marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 2