Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

My maternal grandmother was a hard working Church going Presbyterian country woman, who I  never heard utter an ill word about anyone.

Yet in respect of one of the Elders in her Church, she confided in my mother, who recounted the story to me many many years later.

"The bigger the Bible, the bigger the barstewart hiding behind it"

I suppose over here "Big Ian P" would fit that particular description, never mind the rascal of a scheming property wheeling dealing son (making full use of his MLA knowledge and connections) he reared.

I also distrust the Ego driven nature of many of the Clergy,

especially those from good backgrounds who choose to enter the Church, as a career choice  for a respectable guarenteed comfortable living,

however I have also met a few clergy I like and respect as human beings,

and as far as I am aware all these guys came to the Church late in life, after a career in the real world.

When and where have they EVER had the chance to try?

You could start with the Czech Republic which is the most atheist country in Europe. (By statistic). No religion whatsoever is taught in school,
They still have the same basic problems and failures that beset mankind and the rest of the world.

My maternal grandmother was a hard working Church going Presbyterian country woman, who I  never heard utter an ill word about anyone.
Yet in respect of one of the Elders in her Church, she confided in my mother, who recounted the story to me many many years later.
"The bigger the Bible, the bigger the barstewart hiding behind it"
I suppose over here "Big Ian P" would fit that particular description, never mind the rascal of a scheming property wheeling dealing son (making full use of his MLA knowledge and connections) he reared.
I also distrust the Ego driven nature of many of the Clergy,
especially those from good backgrounds who choose to enter the Church, as a career choice  for a respectable guarenteed comfortable living,
however I have also met a few clergy I like and respect as human beings,
and as far as I am aware all these guys came to the Church late in life, after a career in the real world.

I don’t think clergy earn very much at all. Certainly not Anglican clergy.
I you have a USA mega-church on the other hand.......

8 minutes ago, TIMON said:

I don’t think clergy earn very much at all. Certainly not Anglican clergy.
I you have a USA mega-church on the other hand.......

The Church of Ireland had a budget of 2m euro for a Bishop to buy a 'Palace'. I'm told that the money 's alright once you get past middle management. 

While we were still attending our local Presbyterian church, the treasurer told me the pay the clergy got, a bit like those on benefits, its all the freebies that add up

A , generally large  manse supplied

Heating oil supplied, sometimes as required, i.e. no budget set

telephone

a car

their stipend

etc

etc

but then many churchs have generous bequests, that is funds invested to provide additional income for their clergy.

Over here, many of the larger Presbyterian Church's provide a very good living

And in days gone by, when the clergys wife was part of the package, perhaps understandable.

but now with so many clergymens wives choosing to work, generally in well paid/pensioned jobs, and indeed, sometimes not be involved in Ch life.

Perhaps a re-think is required.

mth

I just read that a young terrorist has been sentenced to 9 years in Germany for plotting to use a 12 year old suicide bomber to blow up a Christmas market, then to use his 17 year old wife to do the same thing. 9 years, probably be out in 4. It’s nice to see that the German authorities are taking this sort of thing seriously........

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TIMON said:

I just read that a young terrorist has been sentenced to 9 years in Germany for plotting to use a 12 year old suicide bomber to blow up a Christmas market, then to use his 17 year old wife to do the same thing. 9 years, probably be out in 4. It’s nice to see that the German authorities are taking this sort of thing seriously........

So his punishment is to spend 9 years in Germany ?

• Like 1