Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

An asylum seeker convicted of murdering an aspiring marine has been unmasked as the killer of...

Looks like we will be paying to keep him for a long time now anyway. Sadly we have absolutely nothing appropriate in place to deal with such  scum in the correct manner nowadays . 

• Like 3

On 17/01/2023 at 12:37, GarethM said:

They are bad because they need like 500+ ton of concrete for the base that's not for these new super turbines!.

The miles of rebar before you even get out of the ground. Nothing is free.

If it so great, zero subsidy and then you can decide how great they are before heading off to be scrapped.

Just because I've seen a garden ornament with a man cutting logs powered by the wind isn't an argument to base a whole power network upon.

I was gobsmacked when driving through NI and seeing the size of the holes being dug for turbines, and then the  ebar cages awaiting concrete. I turned to the missus and say, if those things only last twenty years, I'd be surprised if you get back as much energy as you expended building the darn thing! Had a google at the time, apparently the lifespans of the turbines are turning out to be less than claimed.

Surely offshore turbines, mounted on driven piles, where it doesn't matter if they fail eventually, are a better bet?

• Like 2

Still needs to be ballasted to stay upright, probably to an even greater extent as they're twice the height and I don't think you can use water either due to corrosion.

Then the miles of cables etc etc, the more you research and read the more attractive sitting in a corner rocking gently sounds.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I still can't understand why they haven't tried the solar from space idea from the 30s.

They built those solar thermal things in Spain, simple mirror in space for ultra high powered sunlight and it would provide huge amounts of focused sunlight.

Ok it's a bit die another day but worth a low cost gamble.

Hell, they can fire a laser at the moon and hit a glass reflector from the 1960s.

Edited by GarethM

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

Still needs to be ballasted to stay upright, probably to an even greater extent as they're twice the height and I don't think you can use water either due to corrosion.

Then the miles of cables etc etc, the more you research and read the more attractive sitting in a corner rocking gently sounds.

The whole offshore wind drive is generating billions  for mainly overseas energy companies, virtually zero is made here. I can assure you the  motivation for these companies is not to save the planet as such but to make the maximum profit no different to the oil and gas industry. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Mull said:

Ffs, there aren’t the words..

What is the transgender prisoners row all about?

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A transgender woman is facing a prison term for rape - but where should she serve her sentence?

70A6A72F-64CF-4495-9339-1C574B7CE871.jpeg.5526612488c5bb91984dc79139260fdb.jpeg

APPLE.NEWS

THE estranged wife of a trans rapist sent to an all-female jail said yesterday: “It’s a sham for an...

Looking very much like Sturgeon has gotten the message finally on this one 

• Like 1

I still can't understand why they haven't tried the solar from space idea from the 30s.

Probably as it would be stupidly expensive and not work?

Also there too much stuff up there already without adding more & risk of causing the space junk  armaggeddon Kessler syndrome ?

Return to wooden wind power ?

WWW.LOWTECHMAGAZINE.COM

Doubts on progress and technology <!-- Begin Cookie Consent plugin by Silktide - http://silktide.com/cookieconsent...

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, doobin said:

if those things only last twenty years, I'd be surprised if you get back as much energy as you expended building the darn thing!

I don't know about the energy used but I expect the carbon footprint tracks it and these modern turbines cover their carbon cost in about 3 months in UK.

1 hour ago, doobin said:

Had a google at the time, apparently the lifespans of the turbines are turning out to be less than claimed.

Part of the shortened life is because the site and permissions are valuable and as turbines have become much larger it pays to swap out a smaller one earlier than it's anticipated life.

• Like 1