Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Just now, Mick Dempsey said:

Hasn’t that always been the case?

I seem to recall life expectancy in Scotland has always been lower than the more affluent areas of England.

This is true. But the SNP has been in power for 15 years now with absolutely no indication of where they extra tax the take goes. We’ve still the lowest life expectancy in the U.K. and the highest drug deaths in the U.K. if not Europe. 

I guess the extra penny they’re taking off of us on top of the extra penny they already do will soon solve this. 🙄😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

This is true. But the SNP has been in power for 15 years now with absolutely no indication of where they extra tax the take goes. We’ve still the lowest life expectancy in the U.K. and the highest drug deaths in the U.K. if not Europe. 

I guess the extra penny they’re taking off of us on top of the extra penny they already do will soon solve this. 🙄😁

Isn’t there a degree of personal responsibility in all this?

What do you want, a ban on unhealthy foods? Stricter restrictions on alcohol sales?

What are your solutions?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Isn’t there a degree of personal responsibility in all this?

What do you want, a ban on unhealthy foods? Stricter restrictions on alcohol sales?

What are your solutions?

I completely agree that there should be personal responsibility for our own health. There is simply no reason to be morbidly unhealthy with the wealth of knowledge and help freely available today. 

Funny you should mention stricter alcohol restrictions, the SNP has done just that by introducing a minimum alcohol unit price a few years back that means we pay the most for booze in the whole of the U.K. did it work? Of course not, it’s been proven that the very people it was introduced to “help” simply bought the same amount of booze and spent less on necessities. 

In my opinion the modus operandi of the SNP is “free stuff” for their voters. They encourage state dependency and not personal responsibility. Taking personal responsibility in Scotland is getting more and more costly to the point it’s simply not worth trying to better yourself. 

Solutions? Well vote the clearly failing SNP out, but there is significantly more dole bum types than there is those who are personally and fiscally responsible. A system more akin to Norway is in my mind the solution. Entrepreneurship and hard work is rewarded. Even such matters as evicting a tenant is far simpler in Norway, again enforcing personal responsibility. Child benefits are paid regardless what you earn, again encouraging people to not reach a threshold in pay then coast. Pushing on is not punished with punitive taxation. I’m already taxed £8-10k in Scotland over what I pay in Norway with very little to show for it. With the further penny  increase in tax over the U.K. to 2p more now and the drop of the 47p threshold dropping from £150k to £125k I’ll be in serious trouble resulting in me cutting my work right back to hopefully not pay anything to Scotland at all and enjoy more free time. I don’t think I’ll be alone in this kind of action which will potentially result in less tax coming into Scotland instead of more. I certainly hope so anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I completely agree that there should be personal responsibility for our own health. There is simply no reason to be morbidly unhealthy with the wealth of knowledge and help freely available today. 

Funny you should mention stricter alcohol restrictions, the SNP has done just that by introducing a minimum alcohol unit price a few years back that means we pay the most for booze in the whole of the U.K. did it work? Of course not, it’s been proven that the very people it was introduced to “help” simply bought the same amount of booze and spent less on necessities. 

In my opinion the modus operandi of the SNP is “free stuff” for their voters. They encourage state dependency and not personal responsibility. Taking personal responsibility in Scotland is getting more and more costly to the point it’s simply not worth trying to better yourself. 

Solutions? Well vote the clearly failing SNP out, but there is significantly more dole bum types than there is those who are personally and fiscally responsible. A system more akin to Norway is in my mind the solution. Entrepreneurship and hard work is rewarded. Even such matters as evicting a tenant is far simpler in Norway, again enforcing personal responsibility. Child benefits are paid regardless what you earn, again encouraging people to not reach a threshold in pay then coast. Pushing on is not punished with punitive taxation. I’m already taxed £8-10k in Scotland over what I pay in Norway with very little to show for it. With the further penny  increase in tax over the U.K. to 2p more now and the drop of the 47p threshold dropping from £150k to £125k I’ll be in serious trouble resulting in me cutting my work right back to hopefully not pay anything to Scotland at all and enjoy more free time. I don’t think I’ll be alone in this kind of action which will potentially result in less tax coming into Scotland instead of more. I certainly hope so anyway. 

The latter part in particular of your post is 100% correct Andy. I’ve seen it since the 41% at 43k increase and now up to 42% plus C4 NI 🤔” no thanks” rather than pay 51% of my wages to the snp/green lgbtq+, nanny state I’ll take the foot off the pedal trip wise and stay at home more ( I know from my own circles I’m not alone in this) . They will learn the hard way that there is a limit to how far you can squeeze people. I’m pretty sure the idea of a fit,healthy, aspirational, personally responsible population terrifies most politicians 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 5