Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

8 hours ago, Woodworks said:

I thought sports were funded  to encourage participation and in turn improving our health.

As a nation we are in pretty poor shape already without making sport out of reach of many due to cost.

I do appreciate that aspect, but like the Parsons egg, it is good in parts only.

I also "appreciate" the apre-game boozing culture associated with many footballers/Rugby players/Hockey  players and their mostly shite diets. So only good in parts.

Cheers

1 hour ago, difflock said:

I do appreciate that aspect, but like the Parsons egg, it is good in parts only.

I also "appreciate" the apre-game boozing culture associated with many footballers/Rugby players/Hockey  players and their mostly shite diets. So only good in parts.

Cheers

Sorry Marcus, its "the Curate's egg". 

• Thanks 1

Yes Channel 4 is self funding, they buy/commission tv shows and films from independent media companies, if channel 4 was to go then these independent companies will lose a large chunk of their revenue, hence the anticipated loss of 2,400 jobs and 60 companies. 

Life would be pretty dull without art: no music, no films, no painting, no photography, no architecture, no design... 
Art enriches us all culturally, whether you like it or not. 

Personally I couldn’t give a stuff… I would guess 80% of C4 content is utter garbage, bowing to the Libtard, fringe, oddballs of society…
IMHO that sort of content should be on a subscription basis, and not paid for/supported out of the public purse.

“no music, no films, no painting, no photography, no architecture, no design... “

You forgot: No “Naked Attraction”, No “The Pride Collection” in ur list of cultural content 🥱
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Commando said:

Personally I couldn’t give a stuff… I would guess 80% of C4 content is utter garbage, bowing to the Libtard, fringe, oddballs of society…
IMHO that sort of content should be on a subscription basis, and not paid for/supported out of the public purse.

“no music, no films, no painting, no photography, no architecture, no design... “

You forgot: No “Naked Attraction”, No “The Pride Collection” in ur list of cultural content 🥱

Film 4 have commissioned some cracking films.

You're missing the point though, all this libtard, fringe, oddball viewing actually generates money for the public purse, not the other way round. 

Film 4 have commissioned some cracking films.

You're missing the point though, all this libtard, fringe, oddball viewing actually generates money for the public purse, not the other way round. 

Nope sorry Mark, we’re both factually incorrect… it neither makes or loses money… supposedly all profits go back into program making. But also read…

“unlike other broadcasters, it doesn't make its own shows - they are all made by independent production companies.”

So I would guess the decent content would get picked up by other media companies if they didn’t want to continue selling to a privatised C4.

On 07/04/2022 at 10:29, Johnsond said:

Maybe so Andy but it’s an almighty piss take none-the less bud, especially as you know to your cost how joe average guy on the street whom tries to get on gets humped. Will her husband and family be benefiting from this 🤷‍♂️Absolutely yes. Sadly the covid hysteria induced free for all in regards spending has just given them the green light to tax people more and more. Unless of course you know a few cracking loopholes. 

The discussion on LBC is currently centred upon the beneficial implications of inheritance tax for non-Dom’s. It’s opening up a whole new can of whoopass!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Commando said:

Nope sorry Mark, we’re both factually incorrect… it neither makes or loses money… supposedly all profits go back into program making. But also read…

“unlike other broadcasters, it doesn't make its own shows - they are all made by independent production companies.”

So I would guess the decent content would get picked up by other media companies if they didn’t want to continue selling to a privatised C4.

Fair enough, it's fair to say that it's not being subsidised in any way though. 

Independent media companies, even those with 'decent' content, won't get noticed by the big players without exposure from things like Film 4, when they get noticed then Netflix etc snaps them up; in a similar vein, that's why local radio like BBC introducing is so important in promoting new bands.

Edited by Mark J

8 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Fair enough, it's fair to say that it's not being subsidised in any way though. 

Independent media companies won't get noticed by the big players without exposure from things like Film 4, when they get noticed then Netflix etc snaps them up; in a similar vein, that's why local radio like BBC introducing is so important in promoting new bands.

I suppose that depends on what you define as 'decent' content.

I’m not sure C4/ BBC Introducing make that much difference. Good/decent media be it film or music will get picked up… and ideally much of the dross wouldn’t.  
iMHO the main channels should concentrate on mainstream and leave the fringe stuff to subscription or indie. 
You not agree Mark, there is some serious shite on C4?

• Haha 1

Just now, Commando said:

I’m not sure C4/ BBC Introducing make that much difference. Good/decent media be it film or music will get picked up… and ideally much of the dross wouldn’t.  
iMHO the main channels should concentrate on mainstream and leave the fringe stuff to subscription or indie. 
You not agree Mark, there is some serious shite on C4?

There is some complete and utter shite on there, but there's also some really good stuff, I don't tend to watch TV, I just watch shows that I like the look of online. 

You'd think that good media would get picked up but that's just not the case a lot of the time.  My mate does a radio show and he's kickstarted the careers of some big names, there's no way that they would have got there without his intervention and help.  

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

There is some complete and utter shite on there, but there's also some really good stuff, I don't tend to watch TV, I just watch shows that I like the look of online. 

You'd think that good media would get picked up but that's just not the case a lot of the time.  My mate does a radio show and he's kickstarted the careers of some big names, there's no way that they would have got there without his intervention and help.  

Not very often we agree Mark😀 

I’m the same mate, watch little tv in general and then only when I’m working.. usually YouTube stuff then. 

• Like 1