Dad Ripped of by ..........

Stubby

I've some taps that I want fitted to my bath. A decent plumber could probably do the job in twenty minutes. I'd still consider that £50 to do the job would be a fair price.

I don't think £130 to cut a tree down and cart it away is an unreasonable sum (admittedly I haven't seen it though).

Which bit are you missing?

Mr Stubby senior didn't want or need the tree cutting down. Some prick as door stepped him. Not on.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's always two sides to every story. Neither of us know what Mr Stubby senior said to this guy.

But we can all imagine:thumbdown: Too many traders prey on the elderly and hard sell on the doorstep.

Personally if a client is elderly, I try to arrange to meet a son or daughter and work through them.

I don't think £130 to cut a tree down and cart it away is an unreasonable sum (admittedly I haven't seen it though).

4 inches diameter at the root end 7ft tall and a bit of a dead crown . Slice through with a saw pick it up in one hand drag or carry to the truck ( had no chipper ) and chuck it in . 6 , maybe 7 minutes tops from start to finish . You think £130 for that is reasonable then ? ( bearing in mind he did not want it done in the first place ).

Edited by Stubby

4 inches diameter at the root end 7ft tall and a bit of a dead crown . Slice through with a saw pick it up in one hand drag or carry to the truck ( had no chipper ) and chuck it in . 6 , maybe 7 minutes tops from start to finish . You think £130 for that is reasonable then ? ( bearing in mind he did not want it done in the first place ).

Easy tiger, I was thinking along the same lines till you offered more info.

You aren't the first to have a relative "had over". How did you go on at the bank and what's the news on the possie. I'm up for it

I do a fair bit of work for age concern and this is sound advice:thumbup1:

It may just be me, but I always feel that if the owners elderly and not 'on the ball', all the neighbours think that they're being ripped off even when they aren't being.

Working our way, there's no confusion over what the owner has asked for/remembers asking for or what has been agreed. Also, there's no comeback from a belligerent child who thinks mum or dad has been taken for a ride. It's sad that people take advantage of the elderly and infirm, but you come across it far to frequently - despicable bar stewards.

Damn, I felled and logified a tree twice that size for a bottle of vino for an elderly neighbour:sneaky2:

.......admittedly I was trying out a ported 372XPT

I guess trading standards may be the best way or just putting it down to experience.

I just hope these rip off merchants get it back twice as bad when they are 80-90 frail, infirm and not so clever!