Chasing up quotes

Will Heal

I can't believe how many people don't follow quotes up. I will be the first to admit that I don't do it all the time, when you're rammed with work what's the point, but when things quieten down why wouldn't you. I don't just ask if they got the quote, I ask (if they have gone elsewhere) why they chose the other Co. and how much they paid, and who the other company was. Three vital bits of information, if you missed out by miles then fair enough, but if it wasn't by much then you have a chance of beating them next time. There's nothing dodgy about calling someone to ask this information, it's professional. Same as asking where they heard about you, how will you know where to advertise if you don't know where your jobs are coming from? There's a good chance that most of your old quotes will have gone elsewhere, but some will have just not done anything, remember that for people on a wage suddenly finding £3-500 can be tricky, maybe they are saving up, or maybe the cars mot was due that month.. Then your competitor calls to follow up his quote and they give him the job as they can't remember your quote or have lost your number..

On at least 3 occasions I have been rung by someone looking for another tree surgeon, they have dialled the wrong number or forgotten the name etc, 3 times I got the job too..

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe how many people don't follow quotes up. I will be the first to admit that I don't do it all the time, when you're rammed with work what's the point, but when things quieten down why wouldn't you. I don't just ask if they got the quote, I ask (if they have gone elsewhere) why they chose the other Co. and how much they paid, and who the other company was. Three vital bits of information, if you missed out by miles then fair enough, but if it wasn't by much then you have a chance of beating them next time. There's nothing dodgy about calling someone to ask this information, it's professional. Same as asking where they heard about you, how will you know where to advertise if you don't know where your jobs are coming from? There's a good chance that most of your old quotes will have gone elsewhere, but some will have just not done anything, remember that for people on a wage suddenly finding £3-500 can be tricky, maybe they are saving up, or maybe the cars mot was due that month.. Then your competitor calls to follow up his quote and they give him the job as they can't remember your quote or have lost your number..

On at least 3 occasions I have been rung by someone looking for another tree surgeon, they have dialled the wrong number or forgotten the name etc, 3 times I got the job too..

Some very good points there Tom, especially where you say about people on a wage etc! I always chase up and find it works! I even say, if there getting more quotes to contact me to discuss after as I'll try and stay competitive (beat the other prices)! Which has again worked!

Tom was it for the Alzheimer`s society and did you invoice it three times :)?

I think its all down to common courtesy and it shows willing.

Bob

Some very good points there Tom, especially where you say about people on a wage etc! I always chase up and find it works! I even say, if there getting more quotes to contact me to discuss after as I'll try and stay competitive (beat the other prices)! Which has again worked!

I don't drag my price down to match others.(not arb but still) I think it makes you look like you either were trying to rip them off in the first place or you don't know what your time needs to be worth.

Just my opinion

I don't drag my price down to match others.(not arb but still) I think it makes you look like you either were trying to rip them off in the first place or you don't know what your time needs to be worth.

Just my opinion

I sort of agree with you, but got so sick of all the big contractors around me doing it all time, I thought I'd join them! Certain local big firms just hate it when the small fish beat them on price!!

I do this when I have time and aim to either get the job one way or another or find out the three points Tom D mentioned, which is always valuable and interesting information allowing you to profile your competition or find out who they really are.

Surely you are opening yourself up to be knocked down in price every time you say this.

I follow up on quotes for the above reasons but have stopped knocking down my price as I was going in at rock bottom and they were still looking for a reduction, I did it initially to try and bring in the work, then I ended up doing a job for £1,250, took me a full week and when I added up the materials they came to £1,248. So now they get the quote and if they don't go for it so be it, if I end up working for free it might as well be at home in my own garden rather than some tight arsed customers. my opinion is following up doesn't look desperate, but reducing the quote does.