simonm

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Morning Mull!

I hadn't missed it, nor was I trying to duck your very well placed question, just wanted some thinking time before replying.

On the one hand, your question highlights the critical essence of why the current system is doomed to fail - without subsidy / central intervention in free market economics.

And on the other, it kind of highlights the simple and fundamentally obvious solution - which contradicts the 'tie subsidy to production' (which has been tried before) concept.

Price is (normally) dictated by availability, supply and demand. There is an argument that strategic resources (in this case food) might warrant a degree of central intervention but the problem, to my mind, is that it should be one or the other not a mixture of both.

Either it IS strategically important and it is centrally controlled or it ISN'T and normal market forces apply.

Either, this mess exists as a consequence of the recent history of selective drawing back of central control (dismantling the MMB for example) whilst retaining subsidy, then allowing mega buyers to dictate prices.

Or, it is a case of excess product suppressing prices - scarcity pushes prices up.

Also, important not to (excuse the pun) discount the effect of mega buyers artificially suppressing price to attract custom to the store. That said, either full-on centralised control or allow the supply to naturally wither such that only the most innovative and efficient survive would also change the dynamic.

Bah, blame TESCO and start buying local! :001_huh:

Well actually thats a good example with large scale buyers ie supermarkets forcing down prices from suppliers and can still supply the consumer at the cheap price they want to buy at, milk being a prime example as it is used as a loss leader hence smaller dairy farms are going out of business at the rate of 3 a week on average and in the next breath the consumer starts whinging about factory farming and the pillaging of the countryside, its simple you cant have it both ways.

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

Perhaps, as soon as Brexit is up and running, we should go down the same road as New Zealand, and abolish farm subsidies all together?. NZ did it in the 1980's and have never looked back. Can anyone explain how they can run a profitable business rearing and exporting lamb over here with no subsidies?

Perhaps, as soon as Brexit is up and running, we should go down the same road as New Zealand, and abolish farm subsidies all together?. NZ did it in the 1980's and have never looked back. Can anyone explain how they can run a profitable business rearing and exporting lamb over here with no subsidies?

They have all year round grass growth in most parts, that makes the job considerably easier to say the least.

If you haven't a clue mate, don't comment.

Btw, what will brexit look like when it's " up and running"?

I was looking for an answer mull. Hence, the question mark at the end of the sentences. I was not advocating what was written. However, I'm not too daft on agricultural issues. My father and grandfather were brought up on upland sheep farms. I live about a mile from one of the largest ship auction marts in England, and have done so for the past 47 years. so I do have a clue, Mr Mull.

Animal welfare standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I was looking for an answer mull. Hence, the question mark at the end of the sentences. I was not advocating what was written. However, I'm not too daft on agricultural issues. My father and grandfather were brought up on upland sheep farms. I live about a mile from one of the largest ship auction marts in England, and have done so for the past 47 years. so I do have a clue, Mr Mull.

Try and show it then mr dales